Checking Check Engine Lamp on '94 Camry V6

Unfortunately all I have it a Haynes manual for my '94 Camry V6. The engine lamp has come on. I got out the Haynes to check the diagnostic code -- no luck.

It begins with an impossible instruction. I says, " . . verify that . . . the transaxle is in Neutral." Then it says, "Turn the ignition switch to ON."

On my car you cannot put the transmission in "Neutral" until the

*AFTER* the ignition switch is on. So, this instruction cannot be followed.

Assuming the possible order is correct, after the car is in Neutral (not running) it says to jumper between terminals TE1 and E1 in the test terminal under the driver's dash.

The Check Engine lamp is supposed to begin to flash. It does not flash when I jumper these terminals. It stays on constantly, just as it does when the terminals are not jumpered.

Anyone know what might account for this?

The test terminal illustrated in the manual is the one under the dash, but it talks about another such test terminal in the engine compartment. Thinking the dash terminal might be defective, does anyone know where the one under the hood is located?

jim

Reply to
jim evans

To check codes on your car, jump terminals TE1 and E1 and turn the ignition to the on position. The shifter position does not have anything to do with the check. Count the flashes to get the code. When the pattern repeats, you have all of the codes.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks. As I explained the lamp does not flash when I jumper TE1 to E1. Nothing happens. The lamp just burns steady as it does if you don't jumper these terminals.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

You need to go under the hood, not under the dash. I don't remember its exact location, but its about 1" by 3", black plastic, and it should say 'diagnostic" on the cover. Jump the terminals in there with the IG on, and you should be good to go.

Reply to
qslim

I can't find the one in the engine compartment. Can someone describe about where it is?

Something like, near fender on driver's side and near the firewall. Or . . Near center left to right and near radiator (front). Can be seen from above or must be accessed from underneath the vehicle, etc., etc.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Dunno if it matters or not but you and Ray are giving a different sequence here...Ray says to jump the connections then turn ign on...you say the opposite...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

The sequence - jump then turn ignition on, or turn ignition on then jump doesn't really matter. My personal preference is to jump, then double check the connections, then turn the ignition on so I don't inadvertently jump 2 live terminals.

Reply to
Ray O

On my Corona (96 AT211) it's mounted on the left side of the engine bay (US drivers side) and visible from the top.

Suggested order is insert jumper then turn ignition, this way you're in the right place for the first flash.

Reply to
FantomFan

Thanks for your reply.

I have two fuse/breaker panels on the left, near the fender about midway fore-to-aft in the compartment, but I don't see a test panel.

-- jim

Reply to
jim evans

Ok, good, you know these electronic gadgets though...sometimes the sequence is all important...I missed a step once (only once!) in the procedure to do some function to my very complicated Ham radio transceiver and accidentally wiped out all my presets that I had painfully programmed in there a couple years ago...jeez.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I assume from the replies no one knows why it does not flash the code when I jumper the designated terminals?

It makes this into a problem. I must take the time off to drive to the nearest dealer, leave the car, get a ride home, then get a ride back. All to pay them $50 to spend 5 minutes plugging in a reader,and writing down the code. Gee.

-- jim

Reply to
jim evans

C'mon now Jim, why the attutude?, you sound like you think maybe it's someone's fault that you don't have the equipment (and knowlege?) to do this for yourself...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

What kind of asshole are you? Just an ordinary dimwit asshole, or a moderately bright one whose parents never taught her civil behavior?

Now that's attitude. All I was doing in my post was checking to be sure that no one knows the answer.

-- jim

Reply to
jim evans

The one in my car is a smallish rectangle, but I have also seen a reference to a round connector. They also seem to be mounted in different areas depending on model. From left side to bulkhead and even on the engine.

The diagnostic sheet I have been looking at for a Celica says to check for wiring faults to your diagnostic plug if the light fails to flash.

Reply to
FantomFan

Thanks for your reply.

Apparently this isn't a common problem. I've now asked the dealer about the second test point, and they say they only know of the one under the dash for Camrys.

-- jim

Reply to
jim evans

HER?!?...now 'that's' attitude!...sorry to get you all riled up there James...perhaps you could go to one of those fixit places like 'Pep Boys and 'sign out' a reader?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman