Checking my transmission fluid

I notice that the manual for my 2001 Toyota Camry explains how to check my oil, brake fluid, and coolant, but does NOT give directions for checking the transmission fluid.

Does Toyota NOT want me to check the transmission fluid and, if so, why?

Reply to
Dean Jann

It is generally not a good idea to flush a transmission with high mileage if the transmission has not been flushed every 30~40,000 miles. If the first transmission service is at 100,000 miles, just drain and refill the ATF.

Reply to
Ray O

How often would you change the filter?

Reply to
swiftwater

If I recall, it doesn't have a filter. It has a pickup screen...

Reply to
mrsteveo

Mr. Stevo is correct. There is no transmission filter, only a transmission screen, which does not require periodic replacement.

Reply to
Ray O

Every time you change the blinker fluid, big guy.

Reply to
oneup.again

My 01 camry has a transmission dip sitck.. You can't find yours..?

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Also, my manual says you should replace the trans fluid every 24 months or 30k miles.. But since you can't find the dipsitck, ask your husband to take it to the dealership to have that done...

Reply to
Charles Pisano

On my '03 Corolla it says to use type T-IV. How critical? I'm not sure what Jiffy Lube used when they did a drain and refill many miles ago (currently at 169K).

Reply to
BM5680

On my '03 Corolla it says to use type T-IV. How critical? I'm not sure what Jiffy Lube used when they did a drain and refill many miles ago (currently at 169K).

********* Pretty critical. Hopefully, Jiffy Lube used the right stuff.
Reply to
Ray O

In Swifty's case, it's DOT Minus Zero point Zero DoofusFool Fluid. His fluid's one blink low on the left.

Ya gotta know him to understand. These cartoons are our hero:

oneup.again