"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Oh, so the alleged perps like them too?

Reply to
Tegger

They wish they had one.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Around here the alleged perps just get Japanese superbikes. And often do actually get away from the cops. A Crown Vic can't possibly catch a CBR1000RR.

Reply to
Tegger

But...but...I said that!!!!

One exception: back in 1980, Bloomfield CT's "Safety Officer" had a Volvo

240, and in the late 80's the CT State Police were using Mazda MX6s for 'stealth' patrolling and radar use on the highways. Of course, they had a couple Mustang GTs, too... ;)

I forgot about the GNs...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Where are you at?

I th

Reply to
Hachiroku

I forgot about the Mustangs.

Now they've got stealth Expeditions, Impalas and Chargers. The Chargers make me want to be a cop.

I knew some cops who had MX6's. They liked them overall, but said they lacked the acceleration ooomph for interceptor work, as did the turbo V6 GN's. I guess not much beats raw cubes in a V8 format when you want to run in a straight line!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

No, but a radio can.

We have "Trooper One", which is a Bell Jet Ranger, complete with infra-red and night vision.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And we have one cop helicopter. It's primarily used to snoop out grow ops and other high-profile, media-friendly events.

Reply to
Tegger

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:_y9Li.17646$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

No kidding. I remember as late as the mid-'80s you could seat three people across in the front bench seat of a cruiser. These days it's tight even with two individual bucket seats.

And it's strange how even though the cops now have instant access to your prior record and everything else, it still takes them a half hour to issue you your speeding ticket. WTF?

Reply to
Tegger

True, could have been confiscated from a drug dealer...

The car was in Rockwall, Texas...

Reply to
Go Mavs

You're right, a Crown Vic can't but the radio can.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

The Interceptor could still seat three in front, but it now comes with only two seats. The reason is the passenger air bag. All the radios, computers etal can no longer be located in the deployed bag area and must be situated in the center of the car.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Does Dallas have a lawsuit against Ford for anything that has happened involving a Ford Police Pursuit?

Ford will not sell to jurisdictions that have filed litigation , or have current litigation against them

Reply to
Mark

Google "Jason Schechterle" if you want to see why Ford has lawsuits against it regarding Crown Vics.

Reply to
Truckdude

It is insane to expect all the occupants of ANY car to come out of a

70-MPH rear-end impact without a scratch. I doubt they can do anything to stop them short of full-on NASCAR bladder fuel cells inside armored outer tanks.

Police cars are routinely parked on freeways and highways where there is high speed traffic going by - they actually block off the incident scene for the safety of the officers walking around, and leave their light bars on for maximum visibility.

Drunks and sleep-deprived drivers are attracted to those flashing blinking lights just like moths are drawn to a flame. They even speed up on final approach...

They could make a police car that would be as safe as a bank vault in those 70-MPH rear impacts - but they would be so expensive to build that nobody will pay the price. Cities have budgets to meet.

And those crash-armored cop cars will be heavy and slow, horrible in a pursuit and get worse fuel mileage - the exact opposite of what is wanted. You can't have it both ways, it's impossible.

The only practical way to do it is have a fleet of State and/or County 5-ton dump trucks with the energy absorber boxes on the rear and arrow warning lights, equipped to respond to all accidents and traffic stops. Act as mobile barricades, sweep up the broken glass and soak up the oil and fuel spills with sorbents. Have diking and spill containment materials on hand in case of ruptured fuel tanks.

But then you have more people to pay to be on call 24/7, and more heavy vehicles to buy and maintain. Can't win for losing.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman