Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

Threaded View

Hello,

What is the best way to clean a greasy film on the inside of the windshield?

I have used Windex  sprayed directly on windshield, damp cloth sprinkled lightly
with
baking soda and Invisible Windows all to no avail. Even thought the windshield
appears
clean, it fogs up quickly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for help.

Bill

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

Try Glass Plus if you can find it in your supermarket. Even so, I find that
sometimes doesn't totally do the job, so I follow it with isopropyl
alcohol - the kind you get at pharmacies.

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

Thanks. I'll try the isopropyl alcohol.

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

You have a fairly new car, right?

That's the vinyl outgassing onto the glass. No cure except to wait anfd to
clean as needed.

Spray the Windex on a clean washcloth, not directly on the glass. Glass
must be  cool (out of sunlight).

Apply Windex copiously to the terrycloth washcloth, almost to the point
that it drips. Scrub driver's side of glass. Scrub well in swirl pattern.
With fresh terrycloth towel, wipe off Windex. Do passenger side of glass.
Repeat with fresh towels.

Do not use paper towels; they will streak and smear. Do not use fabric
softeners on the terrycloth towels; this will streak as well.

Keep Windex and other chemicals away from the dashboard. These substances
will damage the vinyl.

--
Tegger

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

Sorry to hijack your thread but you reminded me of of a window cleaning
question I have.

I have found no matter what solution I use to clean the inside
windshield it never removes the streak marks unless newspaper is used
also.  It's annoying when you think you've cleaned the glass but when
the humidity sets in overnight the windshield is all streaky again.
Anyone else notice the difference newspaper makes when cleaning auto
windows?

--
"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public
office." ~ Aesop

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

Agreed, nothing beats newspaper for cleaning, and it's easier than
remembering NOT to use fabric softener on cloths.  It might leave some
newsprint on your hands to wash off later but the windows will be
CLEAN.  It's also cheap.

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:03:46 -0700 (PDT), bogusmailmark@yahoo.com

The newer soy-based inks seems to leave a film on my windows.  I don't
know what it is buy it appeared just after newspaper presses made the
switch to 'green' ink.

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

Yup, newspaper is the way to go.  I don't know what is special about it, but
both liberal and conservative newspapers work!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

Armorall and similar vinyl protectants used on the interior will cause more
rapid buildup of a greasy film on the interior.  If you have applied the
stuff, use a cleaner like Simple Green or Fantastik to wipe it all off.  The
best way to keep the interior or the windows clean is to not apply anything
to the interior, but if you want a shiny appearance, try spray furniture wax
like Lemon Pledge.

When you clean the windows, try a window cleaner like Windex and newspaper
instead of rags or paper towels.  I don't know what is special about
newspaper, but it seems to do a better job and doesn't leave streaks.  If
the Windex and newspaper doesn't work, try the isopropyl alcohol as
JoeSpareBedroom suggested.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

Billy Boy wrote: Hello,

There's spray-on, no-wipe window cleaner sold in pressurized aerosol
cans used by auto detailers (go to a luxury car dealer while the cars
are being cleaned in the morning and ask) and show car owners.

Also try a squeegee instead of a cloth, and double-rinsed cloth can be
a lot cleaner.

Re: Clean greasy film on inside of windshield??

About 1/4 cup of ammonia diluted with about 2 cups of water.  Spray
and wipe with paper towels, not newspaper or cloth wipes.