Clueless about cars

I know practically nothing about cars so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to solve my problem. This way I don't go to the mechanic completely blind.

Yesterday my 94' Corolla started making these deep squealing/roaring noises when I brake or turn. The noise has always been there but never this loud.

The brakes are fairly new so I don't really know where to start.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
circles

Sounds familiar. On our '95 Prizm it was one of the front wheel bearings calling it quits.

Reply to
Truckdude

Sounds like CV joints to me. Common problem with a 11 year old car. They could have worn out or the boots around them are open and dirt has gotten in.

Reply to
offen rong

You need to visit a brake shop.

Be prepared to open your wallet very wide.

Reply to
J Strickland

You are in the right NG it appears. LOL

mike hunt

circles wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

After reading another response, I'm gonna change my story. I'm going with the wheel bearing ...

If you are not able to do this yourself, then you still need to prepare your wallet.

Reply to
J Strickland

Wheel bearings will only make noise when you turn, in one direction unless you have 1 on each side going. I've never had one make noise while breaking although I guess that may be possible. It could be a number of things, only a mechanic will know for sure, but get it in ASAP as you don't want it getting worse.

Reply to
Josh

Are you sure you are not confusing the wheel bearings with the CV joints?

Reply to
Truckdude

Reply to
Josh