Clutch Chatter Question

Given vehicles that are old enought that they would likely have this problem, what are the most common causes of clutch chatter? I know the short answer is going to be that the clutch is worn out. But if it's got any meat left on the disk, why would it matter?

Like washboard on dirt roads, clutch chatter always seems to me like something that would diminish with age, but obviously this is not the case.

All I can imagine is that some portion of the flywheel face, clutch disk surfaces, or pressure plate surface, has worn differently that the rest of the surface, but I can't think of why that would be.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
croy
[snip]

Right.

About 150K.

I'm getting it ready to sell, and would rather let the new buyer (knowingly) take that job on.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
croy
[snip]

Nope. None of the five people that posted notes on my front door have turned out to be serious. Guess I'll have to advertise.

Reply to
croy