Clutch finally gave way

Some time ago my celica clutch started refusing to disengage fully. It was enough to drive but it dragged a little between shifts and in first it was noticably engine-braking despite having the pedal on the floor. I tried to ignore it (its an engine-out job on the 4wd and i dont have the time or patience at the moment!) but something made a nasty clunk about 6 months ago and the engine/clutch was then off-balance at about 1200rpm (and probably the other harmonics but you cant feel it). Well I drove around for a while with this vibration but I've used the car less and less until its once a week at most.

Unfortunately I took her out yesterday and while sat at the lights something finally gave way and it refuses to engage without having the car moving or the engine stopped. I have very light pedal feel. I assume its the pressure plate failed but cant be sure - so unfortunately I now have to get her down the drive and pull her to bits (after rebuilding the spare gearbox). The problem is I cant decide whether to go for a stock replacement clutch (normal organic full disk ($500 equivelent) or a cerametallic puck-style clutch, and whether I'll need a new flywheel seeing as I've had major juddering and problems for a while. Think I'll go normal with lightened fly but Im wondering if anyone has hints on what makes NOT to buy :) Was considering Exedy.

Any info welcome! J

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Just off the top of my head, did you check the Master/Slave cylinders?

Usually when the pedal goes to the floor with no pressure, one of these is the culprit.

And, check the fork that the slave cylinder engages. See if you can move it freely with your hand.

Reply to
Hachiroku