clutch or transmission problems

I have a stick shift 2002 corolla with 71k miles on it. The problem that I am having is that after driving for a little while in stop and go traffic especially with ac on, when I press the clutch and engage a gear (first or second, third and fifth grind when this happens) I hear a pulsating sound from the hood (may be it is clutch chatter but I dont know what does clutch chatter sound like). Anyways if I put my foot on the accelerator at that time, the noise worsens meaning the frequency of the pulsating sound increases but than it disappears altogether as though something has been released. The car does not creep forward at all when this happens. I have recently had the clutch changed and all of this did not happen before changing the clutch. Anyways the dealer says that the spline with the pressure plate is either not lubricated enough or lubrication is way too much. The mechanic who changed the clutch says that since the forward gears grind and becoem stuck when this happens, it is the slave or the master cylinder. What do you guys think? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Wajahat

It is difficult to identify the source of a noise without actually hearing the noise. A rotational noise when the clutch pedal is depressed can mean a bad throwout bearing. Difficult shifting usually means that the clutch is not disengaging, which could be caused by a bad slave or master cylinder. Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir, next to the brake master cylinder.

Reply to
Ray O

The reservoir is full. My question is that if it is the bearing, the clutch will have to be disassembled again? If yes shouldn't it be covered in the warranty for the clutch?

Your clutch is not fully releasing. It does not matter if the reservoir is full if the slave is leaking or the system is not bled correctly. Check that first.

A pulsating sound is either the release bearing, or synchro noise from an unreleased transmission. Did the repair include refacing the flywheel? It should have!

Replacing the release bearing or a faulty clutch or cover means the trans has to be removed again. And yes, this is covered by the repair warranty. If a clutch component is faulty, the manufacturer replaces it. Labour is covered by the mechanic at no charge to you (and at his aggravation).

sjd

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

If it is the bearing, yes, the transmission has to come back out. As to whether it is covered in the warranty for the clutch depends on the shop's warranty policy.

Reply to
Ray O

My whole problem is that how should I convince him that it is the clutch and not the slave or the master cylinder. I have already quoted the dealer, I am thinking I should also get it written from another mechanic in my area so that I could pressure him into having a look at the clutch.

Ask for a written guarantee on the clutch slave or master cylinder. If you authorize them to do the work and it does not solve the condition, then they have to refund whatever extra money you paid for the clutch/slave AND fix whater the source of the noise and hard shifting is.

Reply to
Ray O