Condenser cleaning kit?

Spring isn't too far off and soon I'll be needing to use the AC again. Last year I put off getting the condenser cleaned, it needs a good cleaning because it stinks when I run it due to dirt & matter in the fins mildewing from the moisture that condenses on them...

I heard there's a kit that lets you squirt cleaning solution up the drain tube, enough solution to immerse the condenser, loosen and float away the gunk and then carry it down the drain tube then you let it run out.

Has anyone here tried this? Does it work? What kit would you recommend? Is it a significant savings over having a dealer do it?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Actually, I think the part that needs cleaning is the evaporator, not the condenser.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

The two cleaners I know of are BG Products FrigiFresh (specific to automobiles) or Nu-Calgon 4171-75 Evap Foam (refrigeration industry).

You can't spray either of them up the drain line, you need to squirt it right on the face of the condenser coil. This involves drilling a small hole in the side of the plastic heater box to spray the cleaner foam in, then placing a plastic plug in the hole to seal it. But they are self-rinsing.

The Nu-Calgon is probably more widely available, but it doesn't come with a "Snootzle" extension tube for the spray can - so you may need to be creative getting it through the hole and onto the coils.

Standard warning: They're alkaline cleaners, and may damage carpeting or discolor dashboards if they get slopped around.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I've used Frigi-Fresh in several different vehicles. I just set the vent on recirc and spray into the interior intake. One application lasts several months.

Reply to
Ray O

They must use something really good. I put the vent on recirc and sprayed two cans of Lysol into the interior intake for about five minutes, and it made a vast improvement--for about one day, then it was back to smelling like mold/mildew.

Reply to
Ernie Sty