Consumer Reports no longer recommends Camry XLE V6

In the March issue of Consumer Reports .... The Toyota Camry XLE with a V-6 is in a group of sedans that are not recommended! That's surprising in a publication that has long recommended most Toyotas. The review gives this vehicle only a FAIR rating for reliability. Only the Pontiac G6 scored lower on reliability.. What's the problem?

Among 4 cylinder sedans, the Camry fared better, but with an overall road test score less than The Nissan Altima, Honda Accord and Kia Optima. The Altima scored best in both 4 cylinder and V-6 models.

Most amazing .... both the 4 and V-6 Camry models scored lower on reliabiity than the comparable Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan. Among the

4 cylinder sedans tested, the Hyundai Sonata was judged more reliable than the Camry 4 cylinder LE model.

Is Toyota's bread and butter Camry starting to lose its lustre? Why? Mister B

Reply to
Mister Bear

Putting your faith in the CR reliability reports is a mistake.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I think its because of the 2007 Camry transmission problems and ratttling sound. If you google it you'll get a lot. Anyway, TSBs have been released to address these issues... That is, if you get the dealer to fix it for you and but they will tell you first that the car is performing as designed.

Reply to
EdV

Agreed. They've been wrong about almost every car we've owned.

Reply to
witfal

It should be obvious to most in this NG by now that the only reports from CR, that one can believe, are those that are favorebale toward Toyotas. Pehaps CR should add the disclaimer, "Your personal experiences may prove to be different" LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Over the years, and in the two areas (non-automotive, btw) in which I have considerable expertise, I've found CU to be remarkably inconsistent and their testing methodology obviously faulty. I've seen them compare the same identical product on two different occasions and produce very different findings. Don't take CU as the last or even the most definitive word on any product.

Reply to
NickySantoro