Control arm bushings

My '95 ES300 needs lower front control arm bushings (vertical) to pass state inspection. I have a NAPA shop willing to do the job for $330. They have a hydraulic press to push in the replacement bushings, so they won't need to replace the control arms.

My question is - which bushings should I use? Are polyurethane ones preferable to the stock rubber variety? Any recommended brands?

Thanks, Tripurari

Reply to
singh.tripurari

I'm not familiar with aftermarket brands of suspension bushings, but polyurethane bushings will probably last longer than rubber bushings, with the possible tradeoffs being higher cost and a potentially harsher ride.

Reply to
Ray O

Does Toyota sell control arm bushings? All I can find is after market.

Thanks, Tripurari

Reply to
singh.tripurari

Does Toyota sell control arm bushings? All I can find is after market.

Thanks, Tripurari

******** I have not checked lately, but I believe that Toyota only sells control arms with the bushings already installed. Your local Toyota dealer should be able to let you know for sure.
Reply to
Ray O

Check

for prices. Spicer (Profession Grade, not the cheaper service grade) is a Tier-1 supplier to car manufacturers, so look for those. At least this should give you an idea of how much these things cost. While in there consider changing out the front (horizontal, #5651206) one on the control arm, as well as the ball joint.

You'll likely need an alignment after touching these suspension components. I hope the shop has an excellent, recently calibrated Hunter alignment machine.

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5651207 More Info {Professional Grade} Front Suspension; Lower Rear $19.72

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5651206 More Info {Professional Grade} Front Suspension; Lower Front $20.79

Ball Joint: SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5051178 More Info {Professional Grade} Front Suspension; Lower $32.79

Reply to
johngdole

I'd go with rubber. Unless you want to spice up the handling *and* if you can even find them for Camrys (believe me, "Toyota Racing" really is an oxymoron). On a Lexus ES, which is a modified Toyota Camry I'd doubt you can find them except maybe for sway bars.

The urethane bushings are harder, but can be a source of endless squeaks. Google on these problems.

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
johngdole