Coolant in with oil

I have 83 toyota pickup 4X4 with a 22R that the water is in with oil. I do not know what the problem is. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Most likely, you need a new head gasket. That's expensive. Like $500 to $1500. And that's assuming that you didn't damage the bearings. If that's the case, you're talking more like $2500 to $3500.

Good luck.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Never a good sign. Most likely, a head gasket as another person mentioned, but it could be a cracked block as well that being remote.

You did not mention if the engine was making any unusual noise, but you might be ok if you fix the leak, drain and replace the oil and repeat the oil change in about a thousand miles. That should do it, but it is an eighty three truck, and anything is possible. Good luck.

Reply to
user

I forgot to mention to check each spark plug for coolant staining. That might give you a direction to address the leak. If it's on the plug or plugs, it's probably the head gasket.

Reply to
user

Any way you slice it, it's not good. As a lot have suggested, it could be a head gasket. But a head gasket would have given you some warning before it blew out.

More than likely, the chain has eaten through the engine block. These engines were notorious for letting the chain rub against the block slowly and subtley, with the only warning being a slight rasping sound for 2-5 minutes on warm up. They use a hydraulic chain tensioner that takes a few seconds to tighten up and move the chain away from the block. Over the years, and especially if you don't change the oil faithfully and sludge builds up, the tensioners don't do their job and the chain eats through the block.

If you're *lucky*, it's a head gasket. It's very easy to replace a BHG on this engine. If you're not so lucky, the chain has gotten you and there isn't a lot you can do: replace the engine or scrap the truck.

The upside is, these engines were used a LOT, and there are plenty out there. I would consider replacing the 22R with a 22RE, the injected version of the engine. They were used in the trucks after 1985 (you'll have to hunt, for '85 and '86 they were about 50/50), and after '87 they were the only version installed. They were also installed in the Celica and Celica GTS from '82 or so.

Unfortunately, I sent a prime example to the junkyard just about a year ago; $300 out of a wrecked '91 PU with 120,000 miles on it. But, going with a 22RE means swapping the engine harness and the computer, but it's not too much more difficult than changing the engine alone. Or, you could yank the head off your '83 and replace the FI head on a newer motor (but why would you want to do that?!?!)

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Besides the head and head gasket problems that other have mentioned, check under the front timing cover to make sure nothing has worn through there from the chain rubbing on something.

Reply to
Ray O

Two possibilities - head gasket, or on a high-mileage engine the timing chain tensioner is long gone and the timing chain flops around and wears through the timing cover and into a coolant passage.

The timing chain makes lots of noise when the tensioner dies, and a good mechanic will know to do the timing set work before the disaster.

Either way STOP DRIVING IT until it is diagnosed and fixed. Coolant is not oil and will quickly wreck the bearings if you keep driving it with contaminated engine oil. Then it becomes a full engine rebuild.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If it is indeed a head gasket, with a vehicle that old, I'd be inclined to put in a bottle of stop leak and see whether it plugged up the head gasket. I did this some years ago with a Peugeot with a bad gasket, and it held together for a couple of years until I sold the car. a lot less expensive than replacing the gasket, IF it works. If it's the wear from the chain, all bets are off.

Reply to
mack

I stop driving it the day the all the water went into the oil.It did not make any sounds like something was wrong. The truck has about 129k miles on it now. I know it has been getting very bad gas mileage. And the engine has very little power going up hill.Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Thanks that is what I was thinking and hoping.

Reply to
Jamie Mello

That is what I am hoping that it is only a head gasket. Thanks for all your help Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello