Cooling problem 95 UK Previa - advice or ideas please?

We have a problem with our 95 UK Previa (2.4 petrol, manual, 120k miles).

On hot days (so not often in the UK!) the temperature gauge goes up to the red if the engine is running at low to medium revs or idling at lights. Dropping a gear or just revving the engine brings the temperature down to normal in one or two seconds, but then it goes back up if we drive normally. Problem started while on holiday in a hotter country two years ago and seems to be getting worse. In the cool UK climate it hasn't been a big deal until recently.

The other symptom I noticed today is that with the heater on full we get cool air when the temp gauge is in the red with low engine revs, but hot air when the temp gauge is normal but with high revs.

My guess is the water pump - impellers corroded so not circulating coolant, but before I swap that does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Mike

Reply to
mj366

They symptoms seem to point to a coolant circulation problem. I would check the thermostat, water pump, and radiator for restrictions.

Reply to
Ray O

Also check that the rad fan is actually functioning. Check the rad hoses for soft or squishy feel.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thanks for the replies Ray & Stewart. Hoses & fan are OK, I'll swap the thermostat first as it's cheaper and easier than the pump. Mike

Reply to
mj366

Turned out it was the radiator. I got it tested then re-cored for UK£80. Also swapped the thermostat while I had the system drained and did a full system flush. All ok now.

Interestingly the first new thermostat didn't open - it was a cheaper pattern part. I tested it in a pan of hot water and it was dead, so got a genuine Toyota replacement.

Ran the car with tap water for 4 days to check it, then reflushed, drained and filled with coolant.

Hopefully my head gasket is safe a while longer!! Thanks again for replying Mike

Reply to
mj366

Thanks for reporting the results!

Reply to