Corolla 1990 Wagon

Hello Everyone

Could someone give us an idea what would it take to repair our transmission problem with our 1990 Corolla wagon. When we shift to and from neutral to the other gears it is very difficult compared to before. We recall that the mechanic asked a question a year ago if we had any problem with our transmission because there is a leak of fluid, must be the coolant, into the transmission. At that time we did not notice anything, everything was working fine. But now the shift is more like wrestling, only to and from neutral.

We noticed that the transmission fluid level is about 2 cm higher than it supposed to be after minimum 20 minute warm up on the road.

Approximately what could be problem and how much could this cost to repair this problem or we should just junk the car?

Thank you very much for your replies.

Erika

Reply to
Erika

Could someone give us an idea what would it take to repair our transmission problem with our 1990 Corolla wagon. When we shift to and from neutral to the other gears it is very difficult compared to before. We recall that the mechanic asked a question a year ago if we had any problem with our transmission because there is a leak of fluid, must be the coolant, into the transmission. At that time we did not notice anything, everything was working fine. But now the shift is more like wrestling, only to and from neutral.

We noticed that the transmission fluid level is about 2 cm higher than it supposed to be after minimum 20 minute warm up on the road.

Approximately what could be problem and how much could this cost to repair this problem or we should just junk the car?

Thank you very much for your replies.

Erika

****************** You did not mention whether you have an automatic or a manual transmission, but since only automatics have a connection to coolant, I'll assume that you have an automatic transmission.

Difficult shifting does not necessarily mean that there is an internal problem with the transmission. It could mean that the shifter linkage is binding, or that there is a problem with a transmission or engine mount. If it is difficult to shift from park into reverse or drive, then the shift lock solenoid may be sticking.

Reply to
Ray O

The way she describes it, it seems like it's an automatic. Very few women of my aquantance drive a manual anymore.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

It seems like very few people of either gender drive a manual any more ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

What's really wierd is my '93 is the FIRST Automatic I've ever owned. . . . Every once in a while, my left foot goes to the floor to hit . . . a pedal that's not there.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

I know the feeling. I had manual transmissions when I lived in the San Francisco Bay area and in most of my company cars in New England until I was assigned to metro Boston. Driving in downtown Boston finally convinced me to start ordering automatics. I wouldn't mind going back to a manual transmission, but most larger cars don't come with them any more :-(

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry, I forgot it is automatic. (My first reply never get there, I try again)

Thanks a lot for you help.

Erika

| >> The way she describes it, it seems like it's an automatic. Very few | >> women of my aquantance drive a manual anymore. | >>

| >> Charles of Schaumburg | >

| > It seems like very few people of either gender drive a manual any more ;-) | > -- | >

| > Ray O | > (correct punctuation to reply) | >

| | What's really wierd is my '93 is the FIRST Automatic I've ever owned. . . . | Every once in a while, my left foot goes to the floor to hit . . . a pedal | that's not there. | | Charles of Schaumburg | |

Reply to
Erika

That's nothing - Swap between a half-dozen diametrically different cars in the course of a day, find out where your reflexes trip you up on the controls, and THEN get back to me. ;-)

When you try groping five different places to get to the parking brake handle or pedal before you get to the right one, or you try the stomp-and-release on a car that doesn't, or go to pull the brake release before you remember that's the hood release - get out and close the hood again...

Six different shift lever locations, and multiple patterns, and cars with no Park position...

Go stomping three times in different spots for the dimmer switch on the floor till you remember it's in the stalk - then you try pulling back on a car where it's a push forward...

Trying to stuff a car into the 4th or 5th speed it doesn't have...

And I can't count the number of times I've nearly stalled on an offramp before the "Hey, there's a clutch on this one!" kicks in...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

When I had my Honda Accord I tried the clutch option - some cars stop quick when you end up with two feet on the same pedal.

Another thing I have encountered (right hand drive vehicles here) - Indicators on opposite side of wheel (i.e. turn wipers on to turn right)

Reply to
FantomFan

I haven't had the experience in the same day but I have driven:

A Corvair with Powerglide and only R-N-D-L and an umbrella handle on the left for a park brake.

A Toyota Carina with our first dimmer on the stalk and our first handbrake in the middle.

A Previa with the column automatic and a handbrake outside the drivers seat, almost like the old Model T's.

A Buick with a column shift Electra-glide and a push and release parking brake.

A Chevy 4 cyl van with no clutch cable and 3 on the tree.

At least I've stopped hitting the brake with BOTH feet in a panic stop after

7 years. . . .

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr