Corolla 2000 Mass Air Flow Sensor

Hi all,

Recently, the Check Engine light turned on and, after taking it to the shop, they tell me that a sensor need to be replaced. It is the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Can anyone tell me 1) Is this is an expensive sensor and 2) Is it difficult to replace?

My car is a 2000 Toyota Corolla, 4cyl automatic with about 50000 miles on it.

Your help will be much appreciated...

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

IIRC, about $325.00 But, this is an Emissions related device and should be under warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles, IIRC...Ray or Qslim may be able to shed more light on this, or you could Google it.

Replacing it? Look at your air cleaner. Behind the 'box' is a metal contraption with a connector on it. That's the MAF sensor. You can go aftermarket, but I would try a boneyard first. Just make SURE that if it does not resolve the problem you can return it! Many boneyards have a No Return on Electronics policy, assuming you're going to replace it wrong and burn it. If there's a way to replace this item incorrectly, let me know, and I'll eat the old one! (Um, aside from installing it in the air stream backwards, that is...)

They'll probably still want $120-225 for the thing...

Search in your area.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I am pretty sure that the MAF sensor is not covered by the emissions warranty.

Reply to
Ray O

1) Whether it is "expensive" or not depends on your definition of "expensive." I've never priced one, hachiroku says it is around $325, that sounds about right to me. 2) Again, whether it is "difficult to replace" depends on your definition of "difficult." It is attached to the engine air filter housing. It is the only part with wires sticking out on the air filter housing. The MAF sensor is not supposed to be a serviceable part, which to me means that there is nothing to lose in trying to fix it before replacing it. Remove the MAF sensor from the air filter housing, you will see a tube that protrudes into the air flowing out of the air filter. Inside the tube is a thin metal wire. Try cleaning the wire very gently with rubbing alcohol or carburetor cleaner and a Q-tip. The MAF sensor is basically a heated wire, and air flowing past it cools the wire. As the wire cools, its resistance changes, and as its resistance changes, voltage going back to the computer changes. By monitoring the voltage coming from the MAF sensor, the computer knows how much air is going into the engine. If the wire gets covered with crud, the crud acts like an insulator and so air no longer cools the wire.

If the cleaning attempt doesn't work, then go ahead and replace it. BTW, make sure you clear the trouble codes after cleaning and/or replacement.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for your reply. I realize that 'expensive' and 'difficult' are relative terms and I should have been more specific. Thanks again.

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

You're welcome! Try cleaning the sensor before you replace it. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes and the only skill needed is to unplug it and remove a couple of screws.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, I *FINALLY* yanked the manual from my Scion today to have a look through it. You MAF is only warrantied 24/24,000 per the Feds, or

36/36,000 per Toyota. Some are maked 8/80 (8 years, 80,000 miles)

The MAF is a 3/36,000...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I own a 2002 Toyota Corolla and I own a screw driver... and I managed to clean my MAF sensor myself! Like everyone else said, it's the only wire thing on the airbox. Mine was 2 screws, and the elctrical wire. Just unscrew it and pull out the wire. I got some brake cleaner I think was recommended (?) and sprayed it from a distance. I wouldn't use a QTIP though. You don't want to break that thin wire and it's easy to do. Anyway, sprayed with break cleaner and then gently with canned air afterwards. Let it dry for a few hours and put it back in. Worked great...

I check it every time I replace my air filter because sometimes it needs a good cleaning.

Joe wrote:

Reply to
mrsteveo