Corolla 2002 gas consumption

Hi,

I just bought a 100,000 Km Toyota Corolla 2002 with automatic transmission. It have dealer certification and extended warranty for 3 years. I need your help to determine if my current consumption is within normal limits:

7.7 l/100 on highway 10.57/100 in the city

For me these seems with 2 liters more than manufacturer specs. Can Corolla owners share with me their exiting gas mileage?

I called the service and they told me that this is normal if the engine no check light is on and the default spark plugs because are Iridium based should last till 200,000Km. I do not have any other issue otherwise with engine/transmission.

Any ideas if this is a problem or is normal? I ask this because I used to drive a '90 Ford Escort with automatic transmission and it seems that gas consumption was lower than Corolla.

Had anyone encountered and solved a similar high gas consumption issue?

Thank you,

Zorba

Reply to
Zorba

I hate metrics.

So back at ya with American measures.

7.71 liters per 100 kilometers = 2.03 US gallons per 62 miles 10.57 liters per 100 kilometers = 2.79 US gallons per 62 miles

Converted: Highway: 30.5 miles per US gallon City: 22.22 miles per US gallon

Now, consider this is winter in the Western hemisphere with all that implies (prolonged idling, short trips, colder air, running the A/C to defog the windshield, and possibly oxygenated fuels), those mileage figures are average for a late model Corolla.

Reply to
Philip

It's been a few months, but last time I figured it, I was getting a fraction over 21 miles per gallon in town driving. I have 2002 Corolla, automatic transmission.

Reply to
Dorot29701

Thank you all. I was near to start "fixing" my car.

I read some stories that if you isolate thermal the exhaust on Corolla you get more power and lower gas consumption. There is an article in

from DavidFain. Any opinions?

Cheers Zorba

Reply to
Zorba

"Stories" ... yup, that's what you read. "Stories." Maybe you should look to see what shielding is already on your 1ZZfe engine and ... consider the fact the exhaust manifold not in the direct breeze from the radiator.

Reply to
Philip

I would not wast my money on the "exhaust wrap." If merely insulating the exhaust actually resulted in more power, you would see it as original equipment from all of the automakers as well as on competitive engines like NASCAR, Indy, Formula, etc.

Reply to
Ray O