Corolla 3-speed auto ARGH!

Ok guys, Im hoping someone here can answer a question I 'think' I know... but we shall see :)

I just purchased a 1991 corolla DX ($100) auto 3 speed with 93k on it. Nice nice car but the trans is trash. suprise suprise someone didnt change the atf in the rear diff area. Trans works but the diff is scredded. I went to the local "pull your own" junkyard and they said the interchange was 1988-1992

1.6 corolla and prizm. Of course I checked every one they had and they were burned up or the diff was toast.

On Ebay they list the JDM 3 speed trans for the 4AFE fit 1987-1995 (?!?!) So I looked at a 1987 Chevy Nova and 1987 Corolla and the trans is still the same looking transmission but the shifter cable hookup and fluid lines are set up different. but they have the same mounting holes in the case, so it looks like you can just swap the cable mounts etc from my trans to make it work. But then again I don't wanna take it out, swap it all just for fun to find it won't work.

So, will a 1987 3 speed auto fit into a

1991 corolla? Please tell me its true!

Thanks in advanced

-corey

Reply to
lawabidn

Your transaxle is an A131L. This is a three speed automatic with lockup torque convertor, and no electronic interventions.

I had a 1990 Prizm with this unit. SADLY, many of these transaxles die due to neglect of the final drive lubricant which does NOT flow/equalize with the oil supply in the transmission. The final drive is also filled with ATF, not hypoid gear oil which makes lubrication marginal anyway. The transmission in my Prizm suffered a catastrophic oil pump failure at 180k miles. When the unit was down for overhaul, the two carrier support bearings in the final drive were heavily worn but the gears were fine. Also, the direct lockup clutch inside the torque convertor was about done too. There are quite a few years of Prizm and Corolla that use this automatic.

Reply to
Philip