Corolla '94 hessitates and stalls

Hi,

My Corolla '94 has 108 K miles, it's well maintained and was running fine. About a month ago I noticed that after a few (3 to 5) days of being parked w/o using it, it didn't want to start from the first turning of the key like before. I had to try a second time and it would start roughly, but after s few seconds, everything worked like always.

It was running ok till this morning. All of the sudden, I had stopped in a red light waiting, and it started to shake like it was going to "die". When the light turned green, I accelerated and it was jumping forward and shaking till I got it to cross the intersection.

I turned the switch off and tried to start it again, but it wouldn't. So I pumped a little gas and then turned the switch to start and it did. It ran a few blocks, and in the next light I had to stop, it "died" again.

I got to start it, but as soon as I released the break after shifting to "drive", it jumped forward a few times (no matter how much I pressed the gas pedal) and it "died".

When it was operating normally, when the switch is turned to "start", there's a noise like the battery sending a discharge and then there's a

2nd noise that's when the gasoline actually ignites and the engine starts. Well, that second noise is never happening now.

The battery seems ok, b/c when I turn the switch on I hear the first discharge noise, but that's all. It's odd, because before it usud to start right at the first spark. Now it doesn't start at all. Is it likely to be an electrical problem, an engine problem or something else? Any help to figure out what's wrong with the car will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Reply to
rgd1962

=========== Search Google Groups for "IAC" or "idle valve"

Reply to
nospampls2002

or Idle Air Control valve.

Reply to
Ray O

I also learned this the hard way. When mine did that, the culprit was a leaking fuel injector. Please don't get screwed like I did.

Check your injectors and make sure they're sound. I would also recommend making sure your airbox has no leaks, you have a nice clean air filter, and possibly clean your MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). It's supposed to be self cleaning but I found that mine was certainly dirty. It did help, but it wasn't the problem in my case.

Don't replace that $400+ IAC unless you have too. I firmly believe I didn't. I think the dealer was lazy/incompetent and my symptoms were much like yours.

I hope this helps!

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
mrsteveo

My manual 94 Corolla hesitated for a couple years. It never seemed like the car was going to die any minute, but was clearly not as nice to drive as it was originally. Often a clutch will cause these symptoms, but it had been replaced only 2 or 3 years prior.

I had a complete tune up, and that didn't fix the problem. This included caps & rotors, etc.

I had the fuel injector maintained, still no difference.

Two different places looked at the car, and did not figure out the problem.

Finally someone checked the oxygen sensor, and repaired it. Make sure you ask someone to check that.

The car has run perfectly ever since (more than 6 months ago).

Now has 214K >Hi,

Reply to
Nate Goulet

I plan to keep my '92 Corolla Wagon forever...

There isn't a nice replacement for the wagon and mine runs just fine.

My Oxygen sensor has never been replaced, so I might just do that.

I have 194,000 on mine and will make a trip up to New England in a week or two.

Reply to
Scott in Florida