Corolla 94 - Windshield wipers - how to disassemble?

Hello,

I'm trying to temporarily remove the windshield wipers. Not the part that holds the blades, but the bars that are fixed to the base of the windshield. They have lost their coat of black paint, and I want to paint them again and install them back.

How complicated is that? How can they be removed? Your advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Richard

Reply to
Rick

Generally, lift the cover at the end of the arm, and remove the 10mm nut.

You'll probably have to pry the cover up with a screwdriver....BE CAREFUL!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

In addition to what Hachi said, you may have to use a wiper arm removal tool. It will unload the spring pressure used to hold the arm against the windshield without damaging any splines on the wiper arm shaft. The tools are not very expensive.

Reply to
user

I forgot to mention that you will only need this tool if the wipers are the type that you can not "lock" the arms away from the windshield. In either case, be careful of the spring pressure and place a thick pad or towel across the windshield (tape will hold it up) to prevent damage from tools or parts while working on them.

Reply to
user

"Ph@Boy" wrote in news:X5qdnXlu1IfeAMzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net:

Or you can just push down on the arm next to the bolt to unload the spring, then hold the end up with your fingers as you withdraw it. That's all I've ever done.

You'll also discover that paint will not stick. By next spring all your new paint will be gone.

Reply to
Tegger

Nah...I've done a few of them, Teg.

What you have to do is get some sandpaper, whatever grit...120, 60, 320... and sand the arms down so the rust is gone and the original paint is scuffed and dull looking. Then use spray paint to refinish it. I use black Rustoleum. I suppose you could use Duplicolor, but for what you pay for 4 oz of Duplicolor, you get 12 oz of Rustoleum, or 16 oz if they have the 'special' cans.

I did the hachiroku 6 years ago and they still look good.

Reply to
Hachiroku

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:zzh4i.2727$aj.2330@trndny06:

Then you're getting better Rustoleum than I can get. Or maybe it's our winters.

Reply to
Tegger

I'm going to do the rear on the Supra sometime this week.

Reply to
Hachiroku