Corolla 96 1.8Engine, Start Problems

Everything started a couple of days ago where the car would start fine but the starter would grind before I could back off the key. Then all of a sudden it doesn't start at all. I checked the batery and needed replacement. Also changed the terminals and cleaned any corrosion. The problem persisted, sometimes I would move the battery cables a bit and it would start (the starter would grind too). It's been a few days and the car will not start. All of the lights turn on (check engine, lights, oil) but no start. I could be the starter, but I don't want to replace the whole thing if is not the right part. Could it be the starter contacts?

Reply to
Alec.Subero

If the starter is grinding, either the bendix drive is hanging up, the drive teeth are damaged, or the ring gear/flywheel teeth are damaged.

I'd start by securing the loose wiring to the starter.

Reply to
Ray O

Is this a made in US/Canada Corolla? If so remove your starter. It will say Delco on it. This is a General Motors part, therefore it starts like a GM car. :-/ Your local autoparts store should be able to get you a rebuilt starter for ~$100.

Reply to
someone

Reply to
Flyer729

As I mentioned before, starter grinding noises generally are caused by a problem with the bendix not engaging the pinion with the flex plate/flywheel, bad pinion gear, or bad flex plate if you have an automatic transmission or flywheel if you have a manual transmission.

You can remove the starter and apply power to the starter from the battery with jumper cables and see if the pinion gear extends all the way.

If you are getting grinding noises, remove the starter and take a look at the teeth on the flex plate/flywheel. If the teeth are OK, have someone turn the engine over with a wrench on the lower crankshaft pulley (make sure the ignition is off!) while you inspect the teeth. You may want to mark the starting point with a marker so you don't make your friend do more work than necessary.

If you are not getting grinding and just an intermittent start, check the battery clamps, cables, ground cables, and starter relay and relay contacts.

Reply to
Ray O