Corolla Axle Shaft Seal Replacement

I'm helping a buddy out with a leak on his automatic-equipted '93 Corrola.

It is leaking trans. fluid from around the drivers side axle seal.

I've done this job on Hondas, but never on a Toyota.

How does one get the seal out of the transmission? Is there a circlip, or?

Anything else I should know abou this job?

Thanks.

Reply to
Weldman

The only one I ever did was a Tercel, and it just pulled out, and the new one slid in.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Anyone know offhand what size the large hub nut is? Something like

32mm or so?
Reply to
Weldman

One big difference between Hondas and Toyotas is that the front of the engine faces the RH side of the car ;-)

I am pretty sure that there is a C-clip that holds the driveshaft but the seal should just pull out. Besdes replacing the seal, you will have to replace the dust seal at the hub and the C-clip.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, Ray. Do you know what size the hub nut should be? I think I have a 27, 32, and 36mm sizes.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Weldman

You're welcome, and sorry, I have no idea what size the hub nut is.

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry...no idea. You should be able to reuse the old one; all that was required on mine was a new cotter pin!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The nut should be around 30mm or so. DO NOT EVER REUSE THE NUT>>>EVER! Buy a new one for about 2 to 3 dollars at your local parts place. Torque spec is somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 to 160 ft lbs...check at the dealership in your area...they will supply the correct lb-ft rating. The seal can be gently pulled out with a screwdriver if you are perfect or you can use a seal puller. Use a sealer installer to drift the new one back in after you make certain that the seal flange has not been damaged and is free of all dirt and grime. This is a hint to make certain that everything is spotless and clean. Before you pull the seal look and see which way the seal goes in so you don't get it backwards...seen it done on accident before. The easiest way to get the shaft out is to use a padded pry bar and give it just a LITTLE nudge in between the trans and the half shaft...it should "pop" and then slide out. Notice the little circlip on the drive flange when you slide it out.....REPLACE IT!! Another dollar....cheap easy insurance. They wear and should always be replaced when half shafts are pulled....helps hold it in the trans. When you reassemble make certain the that end of the half shaft is spotlessly clean, place a little of the appropriate oil on it and the new seal and then slide the halfshaft back in taking care NOT to contact the seal....This is how they get cut and leak again. Oh...remember to drain your fluids BEFORE you pull out the halfshaft or have a pan waiting as you will lose around a liter of fluid if you don't. Have the necessary fluids of the correct type on hand to refill what you have lost also. Best

Weldman wrote:

Reply to
kerr.highland

[...]

Weldman wrote:

Reply to
kerr.highland

I think I would try a fish and tell him to stay away from the ocean ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter