Corolla D-4D Multiple mode transmission UK

Does anyone have some good advice on how best to make hill starts with these automatic clutch models? I am finding that the handbrake is either on or off and there seems to be no gradual control. If I take things easy there are clonking noises from the brakes at the rear and progress forward is unpredictable. This makes life stressful if there is a vehicle close in front and close behind.Should I be giving plenty of revs (ie presumably partly engaging - and wearing - the clutch) before releasing the handbrake? Advice very welcome. John

Reply to
John Lee