Corolla Door Handle Break And They Suck

How many of you have ever had the outside door handle of your car break even once? Not many, I'm sure. I'm the owner of 1999 Corolla and in the last 3 years, I've spent over $400 to have the outside handle of the driver's door replaced twice.

Such a problem has never happened even once to anyone I've spoken to. I contacted Toyota to request a refund for at least one of these repairs and was turned down.

I'm posting this so that you know what you might expect when dealing with them.

I've owned several Toyotas and been generally happy with them. This is poor customer service for a product which obviously has a design flaw.

I have purchased my last Toyota.

Reply to
Me

Perhaps you're already aware of this but could your problem possibly stem from how you treat your door handles? Perhaps you're a bit too harsh on them?

I have a 2002 Corolla CE which I believe has similar door handles and have not had any issues at all.

I'm wondering if you're one of those who lift the handle and immediately let go which causes the handle to slam down into place? I would imagine that would cause issues.

I suppose there could be a defect but I think this issue largely stems from your usage rather than a design flaw on Toyota's part.

Reply to
mrsteveo

========

I used to own a 1995 Toyota Tercel, and its driver's side door handle broke like yours. But that was the only problem I ever had with the car.

Reply to
Built_Well

At what season of the year did they break?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No, I'm not abusive to the door handles. You have a 2002. The first time that the problem occured was in 2004 when I'd owned the car for 6 years. Maybe it'll happen to you too within the next year. Start saving your pennies in case it does.

Reply to
Me

Both times, they broke around this time of year- September-October. Why would that make a difference?

Reply to
Me

Well, your door handles are likely the same quality/build mine are. If they're anything like this one:

The picture (assuming it's the picture of an OEM equivalent..) certainly makes it look pretty flimsy to me.

As to the purchase, it seems pretty cheap... not sure if what eBay has versus the dealer is different or not.

Also not sure how hard it would be to install myself but assuming I could -- I don't get why it'd be such an expensive fix.

I'm guessing the laborious task of taking the side panel of the door off? And then possibly the door handle being purchased from the dealer at extensive mark up?

Reply to
mrsteveo

========

Yeah, the labor charge to fix a door handle can be high. I remember in the 1980's my father paid an independent shop to fix the door handle of a 1974 Chevrolet Impala, and the labor charge was through the roof.

The worst part was the door handle broke again not long afterwards.

Reply to
Built_Well

Do the doors still have the plastic line under the door panel? Do the plastic snaps sometimes break when removing the door panel? If so, it's not the end of the world, but it can be time consuming.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you said winter, I would've wondered if the door was frozen shut and you were yanking on the handle too hard.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

lol, no, no. I would never have done that. I know how to handle things.

Reply to
Me

lol, the handle cost about $110-120. This guy had it for $10. Oh well. Honda here I come.

Reply to
Me

If I adjust for inflation, I think the labor cost of fixing the door handle of the '74 Chevy Impala was $270 (in today's dollars). And that was for labor alone.

Just not worth it, since the handle broke again after the repair. So when the door handle of my old Tercel broke, I just let it stay broken.

If you can get a 1- or 2-year warranty with the door handle fix, it might be worth it, but who's going to give you that kind of warranty on automotive repairs?

Reply to
Built_Well

Well it's up to you... obviously. But, OTOH, I've had 4 Corollas since '84, w/nary a door handle problem, & no customer service issue probs re: anything else, either. If anything, I've been pleased w/their service. On one Corolla (the '84 or the 90?) the McPherson struts started to go before they should have. Two were shot, one was showing signs of wear, & the 4th one looked fine. But based on the 3 bad ones, Toyota paid for all 4 to be replaced, parts-wise (~$600 at the time). I paid for the labor.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

========

Cathy, always a Corolla and never a Camry? The Corolla is a fine car, but wouldn't you like a little higher-end model after having had 4 of them?

Perhaps, I'm misunderstanding a bit, and the Corolla was just your secondary, commuter car? Would I be right in assuming you and your husband (if you've ever been married) owned a nicer primary car?

If not, why don't you think about splurging a bit more next time, and buy a Camry. I'm really happy with mine, so far (except for the poor quality speakers).

Reply to
Built_Well

I had one door handle break on a 20 year old Tercel. I got a new handle for $35...along with a radiator and an air filter cover.

Spent $400?!?!?! Repeat after me: J-U-N-K-Y-A-R-D and W-R-E-N-C-H.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I've heard of door handles breaking, but not very often. Did both handles break in the same place and manner? Is the driver's door handle harder to pull than the other door handles (indicating something binding inside)?

I wouldn't think that Toyota would offer any warranty or goodwill assistance on a 6 or 8 year old vehicle, but there is a 12 month service parts warranty if the part fails.

Reply to
Ray O

========

Cathy, I had a high school English teacher (a wonderful lady) who remained single most of her life, until her late 50's or early 60's when she married the Vice-President of the Saint Louis Federal Reserve. I know the school missed her dearly when she left. She was a wonderful teacher.

Reply to
Built_Well

replying to Me, s.d. wrote: My outer and indoor handle broke 5 times, I've replaced it multiple times, it's just a pain to own this 2000 Toyota Corolla.

Reply to
s.d.