Corolla Doors Autolocking

I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE. When I start the car and put it into gear, all the doors except the driver's lock automatically. Is there some way to turn this feature off?

Reply to
Ken Blake

Did you buy the car new?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes.

Reply to
Ken Blake

Then you have an owner's manual.

You may have to wipe off years of dust to realize what it is, and of course you'll have to figure out how to take the shrinkwrap off.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You're so pleasant and polite.

I've already looked in the manual, and if it's possible to do it, couldn't find where it said it. That's why I asked here.

Reply to
Ken Blake

I'm not sure how Toyota does this, but other automakers can use the diagnostic port to go into the car's program and turn the feature off. You have to call your local stealership OR hope that somebody here has found a way to break into the programmable features with a magic handshake. My BMW has a backdoor into the vehicle programming by holding some buttons pressed while turning the ignition on, your question is if Toyota has the same backdoor. Despite ANYTHING Shagnasty has to say, the Owner's Manual will not address the issue you are asking about.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I changed my Camry's autolocking feature since I hate that "safety feature". The owner's manual tells you how to do it. It involves something like holding the lock button down on the driver's door then turning on the ignition and watching the idiot lights on the dashboard and pushing the switch for different options. Check the manual again.

Reply to
badgolferman

Great. Thanks very much. I'll check the manual again.

Reply to
Ken Blake

Thanks. If what badgolferman suggests doesn't help, I'll have them look into this the next time I get service.

Reply to
Ken Blake

If you're not sure how Toyota does this, then how are you sure the owner's manual will not address the issue?

BZZZZT. Thanks for playing.

The 2009 Acura MDX allows the owner to set the specific behavior he wants with this feature, no trip to the dealer or magic handshake or plugging into the diagnostic port required.

Regardless, the owner's manual is the first place to start. He says he started there, so good.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

If that doesn't work, ask the dealer if they can reprogram the feature on your next service appointment.

Reply to
homepc

Yes, thanks. I think I said the same thing in another message yesterday.

Reply to
Ken Blake

OK, I did, found something, and tried it. It didn't work.

It was on page 41 (if any of you have the same car and manual)--a continuation of "Automatic door locking and unlocking systems (vehicles with power door lock system." Page 41 is entitled "Setting and canceling the functions." It says

To switch between set and canceled, follow the procedure below:

Vehicles without smart key system (judging by their picture of it a few pages back, I apparently don't have the smart key system): Close all the doors and switch the engine switch to the 'ON' position. (Perform step 2 within 10 seconds.)

Step 2: Shift the shift lever to P or N and press and hold the driver's door lock switch for approximately 5 seconds and then release.

I *think* I did that, but I'm not sure I know what they mean by "switch the engine switch to the 'ON' position." Is the engine switch the key? If so, what is the ON position? How many clicks should I turn it? Should I start the car?

At any rate nothing happened when I did this. Any advice or suggestions?

Reply to
Ken Blake

ON is right before START.

In order: off, accessory, on, start.

In other words, turn they key to where it would normally sit if you were driving down the road. When you do this, the dash lights all light up.

If you don't do this, the dash lights don't all light up.

Accessory is what powers up the radio and other similar accessories, but without the car being on.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

OK, that's one of the ways I tried. It didn't work. Any idea why?

Reply to
Ken Blake

Yeah, try it again several times. You'll get the hang of it.

Personally I don't like auto-locking doors. In my view they are a safety hazard. If the driver gets in a bad car accident and is knocked unconscious it will be difficult for any bystanders to help them get out of the car. If the car is on fire then you can just say goodbye to the world.

Reply to
badgolferman

Hi Ken, been a long time..

My wife has a 2010 Corolla LE with auto transmission.

Take a look at page 454 for the options that can be done by the dealer to do the various door locking options.

My 2011 Avalon has similar options and when I inquired about changing a couple of the options I was told they would be $50 for each change. Ouch!

Reply to
Don Schmidt

Yes it has. I remember you!

Thanks. Will do.

Ugh! As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth anywhere near that.

Reply to
Ken Blake

I thought I did. But I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Good point!

Reply to
Ken Blake

The doors of my BMW unlock in an accident. The flashers start by theirself, the interior lights come on, the radio goes off, and the doors unlock. The car knows when it is in a bad way and does stuff to help, if it can. Surely, Toyota engineers can make a car that opens itself...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland