Corolla driving position question

I test drove a 2006 Corolla this weekend and like the car a lot, except for one thing: the position of the steering wheel. When I got the seat back to where my legs were comfortable, I found the reach to the steering wheel to be farther than is comfortable. The wheel seems very close to the dash and I suspect the nearly straight-arm driving position would get tiring over time. I own two Chrysler minivans and a Chevy pickup currently and all three allow me to use the door and seat armrests and still reach the steering wheel. This wasn't possible in the Corolla and it doesn't seem to offer a telescoping option on the steering wheel.

Any Corolla owners who can comment on this? Do you get used to the driving position or is it tiresome on long trips?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I have the same problem with the corollas. Domestics seem a better fit but I drive old cars and cant put up with the oil leaks in my driveway with the domestics.

Reply to
steve

Reply to
ma_twain

Most competition drivers also drive in the "straight arm" position, but then the steering is not over 3 turns lock to lock.

As far as burns from an air bag leaving scars, that is an urban legend. The vents on an air bag are positioned so that they vent towards the dashboard and not towards the face or hands, although some early ones could vent towards the hands. The gases generally will not cause more than a first degree burn, about the same as a moderate sunburn. Airbag material could cause abrasions similar to a rug burn, although these rarely cause scarring. The pre-tesnsioning seatbelts in the Corolla would minimize contact with the airbag, and if the crash is severe enough to stretch the seatbelts enough to contact the airbag, then a mild rug burn is probably preferable to a smashed face.

That said, ma twain's advice about sitting as far away from the airbag as possible is right on!

Reply to
Ray O

Keep in mind, the more advanced air bag systems have the ability to reduce the impact of the air bag based on body weight and height. This idea was based on smaller adults and kids being killed or severely injured by deploying air bag at full force. Sitting too close to the steering wheel (bent elbows) does lead to a higher impact from the air bag. I don't think the Corolla would have this advanced air bag system. I have heard Mercedes advertising this system.

The next thing you know the car will be talking to you, telling you that you need to go on a diet because your weight is too much for your height :-) It would in my case.

Reply to
ma_twain

in minivans and (most)pickups you sit higher from the floor than in a corolla. this allows you to sit closer to the wheel and still have legroom as your knees are bent. try putting the seat in full upright position, or other varations to make yourself feel closer. also a lumbar pillow will inch you closer. I usually find the wheel to close in most cars, and the seat doesnt go back far enough so its hard to come up with how to reverse that. good luck

Reply to
xmirage2kx

I don't think the Corolla would have this advanced air bag system.

Very true! According to Toyota's web site, the 2006 Corolla is equipped with front seat belt pre-tensioners and advanced airbag system for the driver and front passenger. I beleive all vehicles have the advanced air bag system now.

Reply to
Ray O

I drive Corolla 94, and like the seating / steering wheel / instruments / position so much better than in recent models. Hope my car is fine until they re-design Corolla. Why do put RPM gauge in automatics? Waist of dashboard space, the other needed gauges are now smaller. See no sense.

Reply to
vmkng

I drove one today and thought about this post when I got in. For me, I like too sit all the way back, and in this position the steering wheel does not come down far enough, so my wrists are bent a bit forward, and it is very uncomfortable. If the wheel came down two or three more clicks, it would be nice.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't know, I always like having a tach even with automatic, but I really prefer not to have automatic!

I suspect when they redesign the Corolla they will keep the wheel far away given all of the airbags now in the car. I understand the logic behind this, but it still makes for, in my opinion, an uncomfortable driving position.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The 94 has air bags too...

Reply to
someone

In 1994 they didn't understand that air bags were dangerous explosive devices that could kill people - particularly people who like to hang close to the steering wheel.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White