Corolla - Hard Start Help and Distr O Ring

Hello Folks -

I have a 1996 Corolla with 160k miles on it, I have two questions below; one on a recent hard start and another on replacing distributor o rings.

  1. I had a problem starting my Corolla in the wee hours of the morning the other day. The car had only been run for less than a minute in the previous 24 hours. The dash lights came on so I think I am safe to rule out a dead battery. A check engine light was on as well, I gave the car a good 6-7 "chug-chug-chug-chugs" to get going and nothing. I opened the hood, poked around for a minute and then in frustration turned the key and let it try to turn over for a good 10 seconds, and slowly, it came to life and I goosed the gas. I have started the car
6+ times since with no problems. Any ideas? Should I replace the starter or was this a fluke? I had a another car that the stated died on and that was a slow process where the starts got slowly worse, not all of a sudden like this. Could the engine have been flooded or something? The only thing I did between the two attempts to start was to open the hood and open the garage door letting a rush of fresh air in.

  1. My Corolla also appears to be leaking oil at the distributor, I understand the internal O-rings are a common cause. I seem to be getting mixed signals on the difficulty of removing the distributor, when I remove it is it possible to mark the orientation and carefully replace it without adjusting the timing? I would like to simply pull it out, replace the ring and put it back, some of the various sources I have been looking at seem make it sound like I need to consult NASA to align the bugger! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and any advice on what else might be leaking in this area (already replaced a clogged PCV). Thanks again!

Blake

Reply to
blake18

How old is the battery? Over 5-6 years, then it may be time for another.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

When you say "hard starting," do you mean that the engine did not turn over or did it turn over without catching?

If the engine did not turn over, check the starter solenoid contacts. If the engine cranked without catching, check the fuel pressure regulator.

Leaking distributor O-rings are not that uncommon. Use an awl to scribe alignment marks on the distributor base and head so that you can re-align it. The proper method is to re-check engine timing, but the scribe method will do in a pinch. If you are chasing leaks, also check the valve cover gasket.

Reply to
Ray O