Corolla Headlight Lens burned?

I just noticed yesterday a bug while blob in front of my highbeam light on my lens, passenger side, I can see where the one on the drivers side ig getting bulged out also. I have used my highbeams less than a dozen times ever and never for more than a short stretch of road at a time. Anyone know what may have caused this or heard of a similar problem? It is a 2004 Corolla LE with 48,000 miles, single owner and no damage or cracks to the headlamps (or anywhere for that matter). My car was in the shop for maintenance yesterday so I am not sure if something could have happened there or if I simply didn't notice it before. The white blob (it is a raised area) is about 3" tall by 1 1/2" wide.

I have looked around on the Internet but haven't seen anything on this, or may not be using the correct search terms.

Thanks!

Reply to
wendysd

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the headlight covers (clear plastic) were wiped to clean them with a chemical that attacked the plastic and when heat was applied to the underside acted as a catalyst to "bubble" the cover. I would not outright accuse them, but ask if anyone at the shop wiped them, and if so, with what? Some carburetor and electrical cleaners are extremely powerful and may attack the plastic if it comes into contact. Normally there should be no problem with the use of either high or low beams damaging the clear cover.

Reply to
user

Thanks, I will ask about that. It is just so odd that it is just over the high beam area of both headlights when I rarely even use the highbeams.

Reply to
wendysd

Are the high beams still the original bulbs also?

Come to think of it, it would seem unlikely that if heat was the reason that they would bubble outward.

Reply to
Danny G.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

I've only ever seen this with cars that had high wattage bulbs fitted - whip one out and check its rating. For this reason I only use 100/130W bulbs (and rewire if needed) on cars with glass lenses, unfortunately sometimes other people don't realise this.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Nah, I had this happen when I replaced the front parking lights in my '80 Corolla with the wrong size. Nice bubble right in the middle of the lens!

Reply to
Hachiroku