Corolla in EU

To all guys from Europe - I'm thinking of buying Toyota Corolla. Any Toyota users have any comments on this car?

THX!

Stunet99

Reply to
stunet99

I'm not sure why you're particularly interested in EU opinions, but I'm happy to throw in my Canadian opinion at no extra charge. I have a 2003 Corolla and it's a solid car, good on gas, no real problems in the 2 years I've driven it. My only complaint is the position of the steering wheel in relation to the gas pedal and brake. In 2003 they made the car larger on the interior and one of the ways they accomplished this was by pushing the steering wheel closer to the front of the car but leaving the foot pedals in their original location. What this means though is that for a tall guy like myself (6ft,1") I just can't get comfortable because I have to reach for the steering wheel and extend and support my arms which tends not to be a problem on shorter drives, but on longer trips it gets really uncomfortable. One workaround is to bring the seat closer to the wheel but of course leg room becomes the issue then. All in all, I'd say it's a good car - but when you're out for a test drive be aware of this and see for yourself how you would have to position your body on a longer drive - it's a pretty big design flaw in my opinion - i don't know if others will agree or not.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Richie

I actually agree with you, and I'm only 5'10". I drove my folks' '04 Corolla a few times, and I felt that not only was the steering wheel too far back, but so were all of the controls. Put it another way, the pedals were up too close. I was able to achieve a decent driving position if I bent my legs at the knees a fair bit. At least with my Honda Accord, I don't have to bend them as much. Yet, my father, who is also 5'10", is comfortable in it (my mother is only 5'2", so it's not an issue for her).

Otherwise, the current Corolla is an excellent car. It's not an exciting car, but it gets the job done and is extremely reliable.

Are other Toyotas (especially Camry) set up the same way, with the pedals up close or the steering wheel far back?

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Nearly all Corolla in the West EU area are 3 and 5 door hatchbacks although saloon versions are built in Turkey and sell in lowish numbers. Most in the same area are quite high specification and have adjustable steering columns. Although I do not own one, I have driven a few and they are my favourite small cars. The 1600cc versions are quite satisfying cars to drive. The T-Sport is hard work.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In North America, Toyota Corolla is a solid, reliable car. Same must be in Europe. Check it out.

Reply to
vmkng

Thanks for the infos guys. This pedal set up sounds like a problem - I'm 186cm tall. I'll check it out!

Stunet99

Reply to
stunet99

Yeah...what he said...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Hello there, I have the same issue with my '03 Corolla S. The seaing position is just driving me crazy. If I drive the car for 10-15min. I have to adjust the seat every time. I never get confortable. My dad has a '94 corolla and it is very confy. for me. On '03 and up the geometry is wrong. One thing I might try is to move the pedals farther. I don't think changing the seat will do the job. The seating position is the problem. If I don't get this issue fixed I'm going to sell my car. I LOVE everything on this car, but the confort is a HUGE issue for me. If anyone has any suggestions please let us know. E-mail me please at: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks all!!!

Reply to
vick