Corolla: NUMMI or Canada-made?

Hi all.

I'm thinking of buying a barely used '06 Corolla LE w/automatic tranny and 14K miles on it.

Based on the VIN, (starting 1NX), it was assmbled at the NUMMI plant in California. That's unusual here in PA, where most of the Corollas for sale were built in Canada, with a handful built in Japan.

Any advice as to whether the NUMMI-built model will hold up as well, better or worse than the Canadian-built or Japanese-built Corollas?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Eric M

Reply to
Eric

Corollas assembled at NUMMI, Canada, and Japan should all hold up about the same.

Reply to
Ray O

I would check and see if the oil changes were done. If you can't verify that fact it may have been a leased vehicle. Leased vehicles generally are not taken care of very well in my experience.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Eric wrote in news:1177964245.275062.70690 @y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

That's right. Canadian-built Corollas would have VINs starting with "2".

Reply to
Tegger

And Japanese ones start with "J".

If it is barely used, even if there was barely any maitainence, I would think that is a good, dependable car. If it turns out to be a piece of doo-doo, you have over 21,000 miles to get rid of it while the warranty is still valid.

As far as which is better, I doubt anyone keeps good record on that, except Toyota. And really doubt that they will say, "Gee, buy our Canadian cars, because they are better than those we build with GM or in our homeland." I don't think there is any way to find out which is hte best factory.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Why? Did you not do the proper maintenance on you last lease?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I've never leased, but we did buy a fairly new car off lease that was not maintained correctly....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Gee I thought Toyota owners always maintained their cars to avoid a sludge problem? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Lease drivers are not typical drivers.

They don't give a shit...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

"Jeff" wrote in news:FttZh.956$IJ3.87@trnddc07:

There is a "best factory". It is the one that does not attempt to comply with North American "local content" rules. This factory is located in Japan.

As for NUMMI or TMMC, both are the same. Both must comply with "local content" rules, which is how they get shitty Delco alternators.

Reply to
Tegger

Not from Canada.....

My son's new Corolla did not have a Delco alternator....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

OIC

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Quality is a function of management the assembly plant that puts the cars together should make no difference.

If you choose one made in the GM/Toyota plant you can be sure the parts are truly American parts, not imported parts merely put to together in the Canada or the US, on which the profits earned were taxed by the US government. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I sincerely doubt there'd be any difference. And with only 14K miles... should have no problems.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

As far as I know, Toyota stopped putting Delco alternators in their cars in the mid-90s.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Scott in Florida wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No????? What's it got? An ND?

Reply to
Tegger

High Tech Misfit wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hightech.misfit:

What did they replace them with?

Reply to
Tegger

Scott in Florida wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No kidding. What I saw while searching for a replacement for my wife's '86 MR2...Oy!

Reply to
Tegger

Yup....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Scott in Florida wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No sh*t.

Well, way cool, says I. 'Bout time they dumped the GM crap.

Reply to
Tegger