Corolla Plastic on Trunk

2003 Corolla - Piece of Plastic on the trunk lid above the license plate.

Does anyone else having trouble with piece becoming discolored due sun and or the elements?

Does the Company cover this?

thanks for any feed back..

Reply to
CIL

If the car is still under warranty, then it should be covered. If it is out of warranty, then it will not be covered.

Reply to
Ray O

So if the color fades on a part of - not on all of the car it is not considered a defective part from the Manufacturer. It is defective if discovered within a period of time?

That is pretty much what the dealer said, we are now waiting to see the area Rep.

Start noticing how many are fading, they have changed the part on newer units, I am not sure what year that they changed.

Reply to
CIL

Isn't that painted the same color as the rest of the car? It should not be fading at any different rate as the rest of the paint. Has the car been repaired (repainted) from collision damage? The 2003 model was the first production year of the current body style.

Reply to
user

Defects in materials or workmanship are covered during the warranty coverage period, not for the life of the vehicle.

When you meet the district service manager, you will have better luck asking politely than arguing. Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Haven't argued just asking questions.

Reply to
CIL

When I was a DSM, people who argued with me generally got nothing, people who took a reasonable approach almost always got something.

Reply to
Ray O

On Aug 15, 4:01 am, "CIL" wrote:

I've never seen a faded one yet myself.. Actually, didn't realize they were made of plastic until you mentioned it. On mine, the whole trunk area, including that piece are all the stock color. So, if one was to fade, I would think the paint/primer would be more at fault than the plastic piece itself. Mine is a 2005 though.. I haven't taken a close look to see the differences if any.. I know in a general sense, there were supposably 700+ total changes to the corolla in 2005, but I don't seem to remember that piece being one of them. The only thing I've seen different on the newer ones is a black "step guard" of sorts that covers the painted bumper top, right behind the trunk. But... Seems the part you mention is the same though.. The 05 does not have that step guard.. Must be a 06-07 thang.. There is no fading at all on mine. The color of that piece is exactly the same shade as the rust of the trunk lid. Maybe it depends on how much sun shines on the trunk. I keep mine in the garage when I'm not driving it, so I would assume my piece may very well hold up longer than one whose rear of the car faces the hot afternoon sun every day. So I kind of agree with ph@boy... Normally, it should not fade at any faster rate than the rest of the trunk. If it does, I would guess possibly repainted at some point, and if not that, maybe a semi botched paint job on that part. If not that, maybe it faces the hot sun every day, and for some reason the plastic heats differently than the metal parts and effects the paint.. Is a 2003 still under warranty? If not, toyota has no real cause to have to fix it, so like Ray O says, better kiss the sales dudes rear when you go in... :) Even then, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a repaint. If that happened to mine, it's quite possible I might repaint it myself if they wouldn't do it. I can paint fairly well, and those colors are easily matched. They sell all those exact colors aftermarket. I've got a touchup painter that I got at autozone, and it's a perfect match.. The only thing... If you repainted it yourself, you will need a top clear coat if you want it to look right. Of course, if I were to repaint it myself, I would remove it from the car before repainting if possible. Then paint it on a flat surface to reduce runs, etc.. I'd put 2-3 layers of base color, and at least a couple of coats of clear. If there is any cracking, flaking, etc, you would need to strip and re-prime before painting. MK

Reply to
nm5k