corolla revs on starting

My "new" Corolla (2005) tends to rev up on starting sometimes (and no I am not putting my foot on the throttle!). I'll be taking it in under warranty but wondered if anyone else had the same problem. Sometimes it starts with just a brief surge of revs, as many EFI cars seem to, but sometimes it runs up to 1500rpm + for a few seconds before tapering off. After this it runs beautifully. Idle speed motor sticking?? Thanks for any suggestions Barry

Reply to
barryh46au

Sounds like normal cold start.

Reply to
Ray O

My son's 06 Corolla does not rev up when first started.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I think it's much higher revs than normal cold start. And it doesn't do it every time even when completely cold (I'm in Australian summer so it isn't that cold anyway).

Barry

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
barryh46au

The best thing to do is to take it to the dealership for evaluation. FYI, in automotive terms, a "cold start" is one where the engine has not been run for four hours or so, regardless of the ambient air temperature.

Reply to
Ray O

I rang the dealership to book it in and was told by the guy I spoke to that revving was quite normal on cold start - up to 2500 is OK. He seemed quite genuine about it, so I'm just going to keep an eye on the tacho while starting - if it regularly goes above 2500 I'll get on to them again.

Thanks for the advice

Barry

11 Ray O wrote:
Reply to
barryh46au

An occasional blip is not a problem, as long as RPM comes back down.

Reply to
Ray O

ive seen my revs go as high as 1800rpm for the first 5-10 seconds while the engine stabilises. If the engine is cold (the 4hr+ hours off thing) then it?ll idle at 1300-1400 for about 5-6 minutes and then taper down to 1100 for a further minute before sitting happily on

800rpm.
Reply to
mike-s