Corolla v Civic v Hyundai/Nissan moeds

Did you have a CAT on that Stude and run ethanol tainted gas?

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote Elle wrote

Bravo. I read Wikipedia a few hours ago and I believe it confirms Studebaker was first c. 1949.

They did MPG tests back then? What is the history of fuel economy becoming important to car manufacturers?

Elle Who pumped gasoline as a summer job when it was 59 cents a gallon.

Reply to
Elle

Just a short anecdote here... I'm not sure what manufacturer introduced "lock up converters," but Studebaker began using its self designed automatic featuring a lock up converter for the 1950 model year. My 1955 President, a hefty 4,200 lb sedan with 259 V8/DG-250 tranny achieved 21/28 mpg in real time road tests in that era. Not bad for a 4 bbl carb, auto and pretty good performance. My uncle used to really rub it in to Chevy/Ford owners... In a lot of ways, we really haven't advanced much farther. JT

-----------------------

No we haven't. And front wheel drive is NOT the most effecient way to go. Back then cars were rear wheel drive. It's easier to push something than to pull it.

The only reason we have Front WD is for people who can't drive in the snow, not for handling or economy..

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

There were a few small models with small engines that were designed to be thrifty for just about as long as cars were built. It would be hard to answer your question definitively, because it would depend on how you defined it. Volkswagen used to boast about the 25 MPG Beetle (although the heavier, faster, more robust Volvo Amazon would also average 25). Models like the Nash Rambler (introduced in 1950) and Plymouth Valiant were designed with fuel economy as a significant factor. I'm sure that whenever there was a Depression or Recession, or gas rationing, fuel economy was used as a selling point...

Reply to
mjc1

Another advantage of FWD, at least for Toyota, is that the car is less expensive to make and less interior space is taken up by the driveshaft.

Reply to
Ray O

In 1959 the Mobil Economy Run began running real-world gasoline mileage competitions with "stock" automobiles. Mobil had sponsored the Economy Run for years but hadn't used miles per gallon (MPG) to determine the winner. Some sort of Rambler won, IIRC. GM, Chrysler and Ford complained since they didn't have any dinky cars that could compete. The Economy Run then became a

2 tier event with Rambler, Studebakers and other little cars competing in one class and the "Big Three" in the other. Popular Mechanics and Popular Science covered this competition extensively and the winner got bragging rights. The drivers were automotive engineers with pocket protectors, slide rules and taped together glasses. Classic nerds. They'd put skinny overinflated tires on the cars, install final drive ratios in the 2.20 vicinity and drive like Grandma. Any result over 25 MPG was a big deal. I'll open Pandora's box with this one, but I remember paying 24.9 cents a gallon for regular gas in Cape Girardeau in, I think, the Spring of 1971. By 1974 things had changed dramatically. 59 cents was considered obscene in comparison by then.
Reply to
Enrico Fermi

"Enrico Fermi" wrote

Ha, that would be so Ford.

Indeed. :-)

Reply to
Elle

Another advantage of FWD, at least for Toyota, is that the car is less expensive to make and less interior space is taken up by the driveshaft.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Really? Have you priced out a fuel cell lately? And where do you buy hydrogen? Or for that matter, a car that burns hydrogen? Of course you can modify a piston engine to burn hydrogen, but I don't think you will get a cost advantage and it certainly won't be convenient.

The Honda and Toyota hybrids have been on the road long enough to prove the doomsayers wrong. Hybrid batteries are very reliable and it appears that they could easily last the life of the car in many or most cases. The batteries and other hybrid components have an 8 to 10 year warranty so they are all likely to last the life of the car for most owners. AFAIK, the warranty is not pro-rated.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I think it would be unable to maintain 80 mph at 2000 rpm. If it did, you might find that you wreck the engine pretty quick.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

As others have pointed out, the Prius is larger than a Corolla so the comparison isn't completely fair. OTOH, a Civic Hybrid costs about $3000 more than a Civic EX and the 40 to 30 mpg comparison would be about right fro these two. So it could pay for itself and then some during the period you expect to own it.

As for your original questions:

Civic LX or EX model is worth considering. LX saves you about $2000 if you don't need a sunroof, alloy wheels or a fancy stereo.

Use Edwards and the manufacturer sites to do your research. Google is your friend.

I would shop any place that sells the cars. You can play them against each other to see who will give you the best price.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

It's also fair to point out that there are Federal tax breaks available to those that buy hybrids. If those tax breaks are still in existence (and I believe they are), they greatly enhance the economy of these vehicles.

And by all means, use the fleet manager and the web site of the dealership. You can usually get better deals this way than by dealing with the snake on the sales floor...

Reply to
Joe

FWD appeared initially on smaller vehicles because there is less markup and profit margin on them. In order to improve profitability, automakers (at least Toyota) used FWD to save money, and a side benefit from the weight savings is improved fuel economy.

Reply to
Ray O

on 5/16/2008 10:55 PM Gordon McGrew said the following:

It depends upon where the vehicle will be operated. On the DelMarVa peninsula you can probably ride from one end to the other in 5th gear on a 5 speed bicycle, except after stops. :-)

Reply to
willshak

"Joe" ...

If one is stuck paying the AMT (alternative minimum tax), there is no break for them. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

And you are delusional enough to think there is, or ever will be, enough solar power available to fuel all the cars onthe road? Then there is the issue of how much energy it takes to make the solar cells.....

Reply to
nothermark

Mental Health Care professionals call this "a statement posed as a question". What he meant to say was, "You, Sir, are completely delusional!" to which I am able to respond. This "question" is meant to confound. Emotionally challenged people pose their statements as questions in order to provide themselves "cover" from more intelligent, more aggressive or perhaps more nearly sane people. This is passive/aggressive behavior. I believe the most energy we need to expend as a species is the novel, creative human energy it will take to make our planet a garden instead of a garbage dump. I believe all humans are served poorly by their "leaders". I also believe that each person awakens each day with the intention of making their lives, and their children's lives, as prosperous, comfortable and happy as their circumstances allow. We'll be OK unless the nukes fly. Then it'll be 'They are on their way in and no one can bring them back. For the sake of our country and our way of life, I suggest you get the rest of SAC in after them. Otherwise, we will be totally destroyed by Red retaliation. My boys will give you the best kind of start, 1400 megatons worth, and you sure as hell won't stop them now. So let's get going. There's no other choice. God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.' Then he hung up. :)

Reply to
Enrico Fermi

"As others have pointed out, the Prius is larger than a Corolla so the comparison isn't completely fair. OTOH, a Civic Hybrid costs about $3000 more than a Civic EX and the 40 to 30 mpg comparison would be about right fro these two. So it could pay for itself and then some during the period you expect to own it. As for your original questions: Civic LX or EX model is worth considering. LX saves you about $2000 if you don't need a sunroof, alloy wheels or a fancy stereo. Use Edwards and the manufacturer sites to do your research. Google is your friend."

-----------------------

You're obviously phishing here 'cause you know that I know that you know that I know the corolla is actually BIGGER than the pompus...er...prius...

The least you could do is phish while sober...?? Edwards...?? The sober u meant to say 'Edmunds'...And Edwards...uh edmunds will agree with me ..corolla is larger by length, width and weight...

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Does that mean the Corolla or the Civic?

Reply to
dgk

Civic

Reply to