Corolla vs. Mazda 3

I've been looking at both these cars a fair bit lately... i'll pobably buy one that is a year or two old... I currently have a 98 Corolla and love it, my mother in law has a 2004 mazda 3 and loves it... For the features I want they will probably cost about the same... which way to go???

Let me know how you think they stack up!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Miller

That depends on what you're looking for in the car. I'd say the Corolla is more reliable but the Mazda 3 is a blast to drive, especially if you get the

2.3 liter. If you go to the dealer for any maintenance I'd also go with Toyota unless you do your own work or have a different shop you go to.

I'd recommend driving both and see which one you really like. Exactly what are you looking for out of the car?

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

I will defenetly test drive both.. as far as what I'm looking for a I want a reliable car that is also fun to drive.. I drive a fair bit for work (around 200km a day when i travel) so it has to be comfortable and good on gas. I also live in Ontario, so it needs to be good for winter driving for those few months. For maintenance, I won't be doing it myself and am new to the city so I haven't yet found a trustwroth mechanic (why the maintenenace comment anwyas??)

Thx.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Miller

They are both good cars new. If its used then buy the one that is in the best condition, with the lowest mileage, that has the lowest drive home price, WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Be sure to look at new ones. Late model used cars, especially at dealers, are almost as expensive as new ones.

Reply to
Art

In regards to buiying new cars... what are Toyota's timings for their sales... I know they have red tag going on right now.. they have more throughout the year don't they? What is the best time to buy to get the best deal?

Reply to
Kevin Miller

Mazda3 may be more fun to drive, but Corolla gets better gas mileage and is a little more reliable.

I would suggest to look at the new Honda Civic as well. Not only is it fun to drive, but gets Corolla-like gas mileage and is likely to be very reliable as well.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

the worst car i ever owned was a mazda (929 or 939 I dont remember which) -- but this was in the early 90s - i think mazda has gotten a lot better now.. mazda 3 has more soul than a corolla..

Reply to
Dan J.S.

For reliability I'd go for the Corolla. Toyota has a better track record than the Mazda's. Toyotas are excellent cars but the design and performance/fun factor has not grabbed me like other cars, such as the Hondas and Mazda's. I test drove the '05 Mazda 3s, Civic Si and Corolla S, all manual trannies.

Since you're comparing the Mazda 3 and Corolla, I'll say the Mazda put the bigger smile on my face while driving due to the fun factor. Handled nicely with plenty of zip. The downside - I didn't care for the interior layout, specifically the radio controls etc. Seemed too cluttered.

The Corolla was nice but boring. Didn't have the soul of the Mazda or Civic. I've heard good things about the predicted reliability of the Mazda

3 but I would still hedge towards the Toyota and Honda if you're looking for reliability.

I mention the maintenance since it *will* be a factor anyway, especially when you have someone else do it. Trying to look forward a little for the total ownership of the car. I have been very leary when walking into the Mazda dealerships and looking around, speaking with the sales staff, etc. If their service dept is any reflection I would definately take it to a private mechanic who I trust.

Don't know if you're going to buy from a private owner or a dealershp, but let us know what you think after test driving the Corolla and Mazda!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

More buyer choose the Civic today, that must mean something since it is the number on selling small car. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

When to buy a new car depends on whether you have a trade or not, and how long you intend to keep the vehicle

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The Mazda will blow the doors off the Corolla...

Reply to
Hachiroku