Could normal batteries learn from hydrid tech?

The Subject line pretty much states my point. We have discussed how carefully a Toyota hybrid's main battery is cosseted by some fancy control electronics, thereby extending its operating life. I wondered, how long before this technique is ported to maintain the basic 12v battery? The two batteries are not working in the same way, of course; but surely _something_ can be carried over, even if it's just when to cease (over)charging. Those factories making the big batteries could also make 12v versions along with the smaller control gear. Making loads should cut the price and reduce the number of dead 12v batteries to be dealt with.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

The battery packs in hybrid vehicles are dry-cell batteries, while the "basic 12V" battery is a wet-cell lead-acid battery. To a certain extent, the voltage regulator already regulates voltage for the conventional battery, but if it were changed to the same type used for the hybrid power pack, then I would think that the same regulating logic could be applied to it.

Reply to
Ray O

Soon, I hope! Considering the corporate interia in Dee-troit however, I'm not holding by breath.

We have some GP brand NiMH batteries bought at least 10 years ago. They're just small AA cells, but we've used them a lot over the years and they're still working.

Every time I look at the toxic white-stuff forming on top of my

12V truck battery, it scares me. (Does it help to pour Diet Coke on that stuff? I'm concerned about nearby components, such as headlight, right turn signal, and oil dipstick.)

Of course the conspiracy theorists think it's because Texaco/Chevron owns large-cell NiMH technology and is trying to suppress it.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

To get rid of the white stuff forming on top of the battery, you can use a poultice of baking soda and water or you can use commercial stuff available at auto parts stores. I would remove the battery from the vehicle before cleaning, and use lots and lots of water to rinse off the battery and battery tray afterwards.

Those colored felt washers that go under the battery clamps look gimmicky but they actually help. Before installing the battery clamps, coat the posts with dielectric grease, lithium grease, or an aerosol battery protectant available at auto parts stores. I personally prefer the spray stuff from auto parts stores because it goes on like spray paint and isn't as messy as grease. The white stuff that forms on the battery posts and clamps comes from the gas that naturally escapes from the battery through the gap between the plastic battery case and the posts, so make sure that whatever you use to coat the posts covers the seam between the plastic and posts. Then slip those felt washers on over the posts, install the clamps, and give it another coat of protectant.

Reply to
Ray O

From your diagnosis of its formation, I am guessing Lead Sulphate (US:Sulfate), though remotely possibly it could be Lead Oxide.

(Side Bar on this: "Lead white" (lead oxide) was popular with old time painters as a white. Upon exposure to industrial pollution, this gradually transforms to lead sulphide, which is dark. Hence that brilliant white paint dulls. The usual treatment IIRC is to apply a chemical to convert the sulphide into the sulphate, which is white again -- but a subtly different white, so the salvage is not perfect.)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I'll take your word for it!

Reply to