crankshaft pulley 1993 Corolla

Jack wonders,

1993 Corolla ~300,000 km 1.8 liter 7A-FE

When replacing the timing belt, I spotted a crack on the hub of the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer). The crack runs along above the keyway.

Is there a recall or extended warranty on the pully?

Also, do you have an opinion on Canadian Tire spark plugs for this vehicle?

Your expert opinion is invited.

Reply to
Ralph

You could try asking a local Toyota dealer if there is or not.

I've never heard of this brand (mainly because I don't live in Canada), but I'd probably stick to ND (Nippon Denso) or NGK. I'd bet the Denso plugs are OEM, so they could be the best bet.

The Canadian Tire ones may be perfectly fine and could save you some money, but I guess you'll have to decide whether that's worth it or not.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

A search of Transport Canada's web site shows only 2 recalls for 1993 Corollas. One is to remove an unused wire harness routed under the carpet that can get corroded and the other is to fix a condition where the air bag sensor may be damaged by liquids that are spilled in the center console.

There are no recalls, extended warranties, or service bulletins in the U.S. on the crankshaft pulley.

In my experience, aftermarket ignition parts sometimes cause drivability problems with Toyotas. There does not seem to be a pattern on which aftermarket brands cause problems because an aftermarket brand that works fine in one model might cause a problem in another. Rather than take a chance in being stuck with ignition parts that cause drivability problems, I recommend OEM ignition parts.

Reply to
Ray O

Ya, I second that opinion. CT plugs are probably made by AC or Champion and are cheap at best.

Depending on the engine model, either NGK or Densos are the best choice.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Jack responds,

Thank you gentlemen.