Cruise control button pops out of stalk. Camry, Corolla, etc.

The cruise control button on our 2007 Camry recently popped out of the end of the stalk. Searching online, I found that there were many instances of this problem, not only on the Camry but on other Toyotas as well.

When it pops out, the little copper piece that makes and breaks the connection with the contacts on the stalk will likely fall out of the button. Reinserting this copper piece, with the proper orientation, and carefully snapping the button back in, while pressing down on the contacts with a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver (so they slide in rather than being bent back) fixed the problem, for now. saved me the $78 cost of a new stalk with a new switch.

replying to sms88 , alan wrote:

[::The same happened to my Camry 2007 recently. In Canada the dealer said its $165 for a new switch and $100 + to install The problem with the 3 prong copper terminal that may or not fall out is that 9 out of 10 times you will damage it when inserting back On the Camry there is a small screw on the underside of the switch remove this and pop out the cover plate you now can see inside the switch. Push the button back in now with the copper terminal in place then replace the cover plate and secure with screw. I totally bent the copper terminal and broke of one of the contacts thereby rendering it useless BUT I made a completely new contact with 1/2" brass shim stock and it works great - so saving nearly $300.:]

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 at 9:41:11 AM UTC-5, sms88 wrote:

I opened up the stalk and found the copper piece with two prongs folded and one prong straight. While trying to reinsert it, I dropped it into the steering wheel!

It is gone for sure. Where can I find a replacement copper piece to fit? and should the prongs all be flat?