Custom Sound System for Tacoma

I'd like to get a kick-butt stereo system installed in my new Tacoma. With the popularity of this truck, I thought there'd be a plethora of sites on the web covering the customization of it, but I haven't come across any. Any suggestions on either what specific gear to have installed or sites/newsgroups/magazines that cover Tacoma customization, specifically audio gear?

- Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

Just out of curiosity, did you try Crutchfield? They have solutions for just about any vehicle on the road.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not the '05+ Tacoma. 8^(

Reply to
B A R R Y

I haven't seen one for a year, so I can't remember really what the interior looked like.

I know people have stuffed amps under the rear seats, but what they did for speakers I can't recall...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Crutchfield apparently doesn't carry a Toyota to "rest-of-the-world" speaker adapter plate, so there is no fit listed for the front doors of the Access or Double Cabs.

Reply to
B A R R Y

What sizes are the stock speakers?

I can't see it being an odd size, or at least, any odder than 6x8 like the older Camrys!

And you couls ALWAYS fit a 6x9 in there. There must be some way to make normal speakers fit.

If someone could point me to some pics, and give me speaker sizes, I'll have an answer by Sunday night... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

The size isn't the issue, it's the the shape.

6x9's will fit, with an MDF or plastic adapter that Crutchfield doesn't sell. "TacoTunes" sells a plastic version on eBay for ~ $30 pair.

Between the dash kit and the 4 speaker adapters, you're talking $100, with no stereo equipment.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Someone in one of the Scion forums made some 'adapters' from 3/4 in plywood to convert the rears from 51/2" to 61/2". He even posted the templates on the 'net.

Poke around the Taco forums and see if someone has done something similar!

Look here:

Hachiroku

Actually, I own a woodworking shop.

I know it can be done, but the stereo replacement hasn't risen to the top of the to-do list yet. My plan is to make a stack of speaker adapters, once I make a pattern and set up the tooling, and toss 'em on eBay. Some very good plastics are available that machine better than wood and will be moisture and temperature stable when installed. The project has gotten far enough where I even have the techinfo.toyota.com door disassembly procedures printed out.

For ONE set, it's actually cheaper for me to buy them, as my shop time is never free. But... I can make 10 more sets in less than 30 minutes, once the operation is set up.

If only I didn't USE the Access Cab bins, they'd make such nice sub enclosures...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Exactly what I was thinking!!

Reply to