Damn, I killed my electrical...

I think I went through high water too fast when it rained because all of a sudden I have no tail lights or dash lights. I replaced the fuse several times only to have the new fuse fry within seconds of putting it in and turning on the lights. How big of problem is this to fix for the guy who knows nothing about vehicle electric?

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

This may be the simplest method for you R.I..I think that the water has shorted the circuit. Probably a connector or socket (tail lights, maybe rear markers as well). Look under the car for connectors and sockets that were vulnerable to your water event. Purchase a circuit breaker fuse of the same amperage to use for testing purposes and install it where the normal fuse is now. Pull the connectors/sockets apart one at a time until the breaker stops opening (then you've found it), dry them out (heat gun or hair dryer BE CAREFUL), dielectric them, and then replace the C/B fuse with a normal type. Good luck. Stay dry.

Reply to
user

Good advice, but I'd steer clear of a heat gun, unless it's used VERY judiciously. It may take a little longer to dry out with a hair dryer, but you won't melt the plastic parts as easily.

Reply to
mack

Sadly, I found out that everything was burnecd up all the way back to the taillights. I wouldn't know the first thing about replacing it so it's gonna run about $300 to fix. Donations anyone?

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity