Damn Starter!! Need relay?

Well after 2 trips to shops to replace the contacts, then fix the replacement (thats another story), my 78 corolla wouldn't start 4 times this week. Usual click-click-click at starter. Usual things, cables, contacts area good. I even installed new battery cabling, both + and -.

Before I buy a new starter and potentially waste another $200, I see that some folks have hooked up a relay to take some load off the aging electrical system. I can't really get under the exhaust manifold to the starter to try the voltage drop test, (even if I really knew what I was doing there.) The relay seems simple enough,... put the relay between the old signal wire, then run a heavier wire to the starter selenoid from the relay. Has anyone done this? I would imagine you would want to intercept/clip the ingition wire close to the firewall somewhere to reduce its run. I was also think ignition switch but they are not available at Toyota here, and list for $150. I could clean up the contacts too.

Any other pointers? TIA

Reply to
Gordo

I would, check the voltage(accross battery terminals) on the battery and when the car is running.

The click, click sounds like the solenoid, or relay dropping out when current is applied to the starter.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

Well I put in a $5.00 relay. There is a plug part way along the wire that runs along the main + cable to the starter. Just unplugged the harness there, wired the relay in at that point. Therory being, I guess, that the signal line will now have power direct from the battery, through the relay, instead of having to come from the ignition switch, fuse box, dashboard, however that circuit is wired. If there is a weakness from the ignition switch to the starter, it won't matter much because you don't need much juice to activate the relay.

We'll see. Again, anyone else try this?

Reply to
Gordo

Yes, I had an old granada that I had to add a relay to, no problem after that, it ran for years with no further clicks! If you had tested the voltage that actually was getting to the starter via the ign sw , you would have had proof of the problem, mine was about 8 volts ! so the relay came in so slowly that the contacts just didn't mate, a cheapie, extra relay was the answer.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yep, damn cars, don't they suppose to have computers these days and tell exactly what's wrong. Wasted good money on battery, cables, blah blah. The "click" was the big lie.

Just don't forget to fuse the new circuit, better be safe.

Reply to
bobb