Dark brake fluid = bad master cylinder?

Threaded View

1999 4Runner SR5 V6 - 86,000 miles

A mechanic recently told me that the dark brake fluid in my resevoir is
an indication of a bad master cylinder.  I could not get him to change
the brake fluid without replacing the master cylinder, and he refused
to work on my front brakes unless I also replaced the master cylinder.
This would have increased a $500 job to $900+.

I agree that the brake fluid should be changed, but is it a bad idea to
bleed dark brake fluid through ABS brake systems (and the new calipers
that he also wanted to add on)?  Even if he replaced the master
cylinder, wouldn't this dark brake fluid already be throughout the
entire brake line?  He was adamant that the master cylinder was bad
based on 1) dark brake fluid and 2) increased downward brake pedal
travel.

Am I crazy, or is this overkill?

Re: Dark brake fluid = bad master cylinder?

Overkill. Granted, sometimes the act of flushing out the MC can kill it; but
that is rare. The low brake pedal probably is rear brakes need adjusting.
Find another shop.
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician

 Get a second opinion if you're not sure of this guy.  $900 seems high
to me, a former part time shade tree mechanic, but then who knows with
these new fangled cars.
--

Re: Dark brake fluid = bad master cylinder?

Not really.  ABS brake systems are not that sensitive.

Even if he replaced the master

Yes, unless you completely flush all of the lines.

He was adamant that the master cylinder was bad

Brake fluid will get dark over time, which is why it is a good idea to flush
every 2 or 3 years.

Like Steve H. says, increased downward brake pedal travel is due to normal
wear.
Overkill.  Find another shop or do it yourself.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Re: Dark brake fluid = bad master cylinder?

Man, if that's true, I gotta LOT of Bad Cylinders!

Brake fluid darkens with age. I have often posted instruciotns for making
a brake beelder kit...I'm not that ambitious tonight. Try this:

http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bleeder.html

You can also use it for flushing the fluid, just remember to keep adding
new fluid so you don't run the cylinder dry.

Site Timeline