DENSO o2 oxygen sensor - universal vs OE difference?

I have a 95 corolla dx, 1.8L I'm getting a code 21 so I'm guessing it's the front 02 sensor. Car has about 123k miles.

I was looking around....and noticed the Denso universal vs OE OEM sensor. Are the sensors equivalent and the only difference is the OE plug? If that's the case I don't mind rewiring(2 wires!)....but will the Denso universal give me problems? I imagine the sensors are about the same....

Thanks!

-joe

Reply to
g20zoom

Why would you even consider using the "universal" sensor?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well...DENSO does list it as option for this vehicle:

Denso must know something to actually list it as universal

Sure everyone says stick with the OE to be safe...but I'm curious if anyone knows if they have any technical differences besides the connector.

Also...the to be honest, there is a large cost differential. At rockauto.com, it's something like $26 vs $70.

Reply to
g20zoom

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1184020317.472816.312110 @d30g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Nobody knows for sure.

When I emailed Denso to ask them that exact question, the rep that replied skirted the issue and said Toyota had no control over what their franchised dealers sold the things for, which wasn't my question.

A lot more likely so than one that comes with Toyota's imprimatur, that's for sure.

And I imagine there are little green men on Mars.

Look at it this way: Suppose you are given a glass of the finest sixteen year-old Scotch and a glass of moonshine paint remover your neighbor spiffed up with some burnt sugar for color. Could you tell -- just by looking at them -- which one would taste better?

Reply to
Tegger

Using Coke for color works better. Adds a smoky flavor, too. And a drop of iodine...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The difference is that the OEM sensor will work. The universal one won't.

Get the OEM sensor.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:Wyzki.3639$z64.240@trnddc07:

Now I know where you live: In the Ozarks, amongst the hillmen.

I'll have to try your suggestions. Might improve the flavor of *my* product...

Reply to
Tegger

I've never had to use the Denso universal O2 sensor as I've always been able to find the Denso with OEM connectors for my Honda, Acura and Toyota cars. Only slightly more expensive than the universal O2 sensor. Never had a problem with the Denso O2 sensors and WAY less expensive than OEM.

Reply to
ACAR

NO! Massachusetts, with the Kennedys! ;) (How do you THINK Joe mad all that money!!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

It is foolish to use the universal O2 sensor, but it is your money, your time, and you'll have to live with the problems caused by splicing wires. I know the OE style sensor cost $33 more, but over the next 60k miles, that is less than 0.06 cent per mile ($0.00055 per mile).

see

for the OE style sensorsee
for the universal sensor I am not sure if the flange included with the "universal" O2 will be a problem or not.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:MaBki.6329$t05.4888@trndny09:

By reselling Joseph Seagram's Canadian whiskey during US Prohibition, of course...

Did You Know...that Horace Dodge's (yes *that* Dodge) son built a high-speed Wright V-12 speedboat to smuggle barrels of Seagram's into the US under the noses of the FBI? Read all about it in Hemming's Motor News July '07. This is the issue with the light-blue VW Beetle on the cover.

Fun? Wow!

Reply to
Tegger

Hell, Prohibition is how NASCAR got started - Moonshiners bragging rights about who was the best driver and had the fastest car. Even back then, the "Stock Car" part of the name was only skin deep, and cheating on what was "stock" was rampant and pervasive. And some of them distilled their own fuel, too.

In the early days, Driving Moonshine was their "Day Job" and they raced on the weekends. Just ask Junior Johnson.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Yeah...sounds like I should go with the Denso OE sensor although nobody can confirm or deny the Densor Universal is a bad thing for sure. I can handle the extra dollars for piece of mind. I can't imagine Denso making a ton of different sensors(core part of the sensor)...it just wouldn't make good business sense, although the sensors with better tolerance levels could possible go to the more expensive OE units and car manuf. oem ones.

-joe

Reply to
g20zoom

Never had a problem with the Denso O2 sensors and WAY less

Yeah, I'll go with the Denso OE sensor with the factory connector. Online Toyota dealers want about $110 or more. It's about $70 for the Denso OE as they call it so I can live with that for peace of mind.

I was more curious about the technical differences....but like someone else said, Denso will probably never tell us!

Reply to
g20zoom

I used to work at CarQuest. Universal Bosch sensors were $39 or so with an employee discount. I put two of them in a '95 Tercel and never had a problem.

And the Bosch aren't as good as the ND, IMHO.

Now, if your car were a 2002, I could see the extra $$$

But then again, if you can get an OEM for $70... (And, are you SURE it's an OEM? It could just be the Universal that someone has made a connector for to make it easier to install...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Saw it on the History Channel!

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! Saw *THAT* on the History Channel, too! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I lived it!

Part of my schooling was in Lenoir NC.

Moonshine country!!!!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:Pcdli.16113$qu5.8054@trndny02:

Damn. Missed that episode. What day was it on?

Reply to
Tegger

It will be on in the daytime now. It was an old program for 3~5 years ago on Prohibition.

Reply to
Hachiroku