Design flaw in Corollas

Recall my complaint about our '02 Corolla, that it automatically turns the AC compressor on when the vent is on the windshield, if the temp is apparently above 40 degrees ( someone said that determines it ), EVEN though this is Denver and not Tokyo and our humidity is usually semi-arid.

So since this fall, I started noticing something else that's a real pain, and puts this in the category of a design flaw now.

We get in the car when the engine is cold, the vent is set on the windshield and it's say, 45 degrees outside, like it was today when this happened. I start the car and pull out and suddenly it's cold as hell on my feet and in the cabin air, EVEN colder than outside. Then I remember, the d@mn AC just came on, BUT the engine isnt warm yet, so even though it's 45 outside ( not too bad ), UNTIL the engine warms up so it can offset the d@mn AC being on, we have freezing fricking air being put into the car by the AC!

I NEED that disconnected, IF it's even possible!

If it's a wire on the vent rotary switch that turns the AC compressor on when the vent is on the windshield, and it's NOT being done by the computer, I need that d@mn wire cut! Gotta find someone who can do it for me!

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Actually, being it falls into the category of a design flaw now, I wonder if the Toyota dealership will do it for me, at no charge?

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Wouldn't it be easier to just not turn on the defrost until the engine warms up a bit? If the car is cold, the inside glass should not be fogged up anyway. Just turn the rotary switch to off until about 5 minutes or so after starting. It's not a design flaw, and cutting wires is a very bad idea.

Reply to
nm5k

And it only runs in defrost mode. Not heat only. So one can still use heat as long as the selector is not in the defrost vent mode. IE: if the vents are in the front "ac vent mode", but with the temp set to hot, "red", the compressor does not run. Same with the heater lower floor vent mode as long as it's not set to defrost.

Reply to
nm5k

With my Hyundai Elantra, the AC comes on in defrost mode. The AC light comes on too and a simple push of the AC button turns it off. Good planning!

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

It's not possible unless YOU are able to be creative, and then anything is possible.

Why don't you just start the car and set the heat on high and wait for the car to warm up before you set the air control to defrost?

Having said that, I agree with the general bitch that the compressor should be turned on or off manually by the vehicle operator, not the automatically based on which holes you want the air to blow out of. Sometimes I just like the air to be moving, but not at my face. I set the air control to defrost and turn the compressor off. The result is outside air that is moving. I don't understand why the engineers think I have to have the compressor running just because the defroster vents are selected. And I _really_ don't understand why they think I am so stupid that I can't appreciate the ability for the AC compressor to dry the air so that the defrost setting actually does something. Ironically, the AC will dehumidify the air without regard to which set of vents is selected. If the air is blowing out of the dash vents and the AC is on, the windshield will eventually clear because dehumidifying the air is the trick, not blasting it on the glass.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

From Toyota's perspective, it isn't a flaw, it's a feature. As undesirable as you might make it out to be, it is still a feature and it works perfectly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think it runs continuously. Here in Denver when we start with 10% humidity the AC and heater are both running at the same time, the inside of your nose cracks from the dryness and blood starts shooting out.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

dehumidified

I've always run the heat divided between the windshield and floor, if that's what you call defrost mode. It keeps the windows from fogging up from our breath. Works just fine in our dry climate here, without Toyoda san coming along and designing the AC to kick on too.

Next they'll think it's a good idea to run the heat whenever the AC is on in the summer, to dry the coils, right?

I guess us Americans just arent as docile as the people in other countries, we like control over our own machines. Henry Ford woulda been pissed at this stuff.

That USED to be the only way I ever RAN the heat, not blowing out the front vents in my face like the AC. And it keeps the windshield from ever fogging in the first place.

Just plain silly.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Why should I have to waste gas and time because of their design flaw?

And it's the principle too. It's MY car, not Toyoda san's. I drive it, I wanna control it!

The road to hell being paved with those good intentions, and all.

Exactly. Why should I have to direct the heat in my face, just to keep the AC off in the fricking WINTER?

When did we become such pathetic serviles that they decided they had to do everything for us, and program it with their Great Computer?

Really.

I'm tempted to sell the '02 and go find a rebuilt '94.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Like it would be a "feature" if they ran the heat in the summer, to dry the AC coils?

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Henry's cars do the same thing, turn the AC on in any setting other than PANEL or FLOOR. It's annoying as hell. I love my BMW because the krauts let me decide where the air should flow out from, and which systems should be ON, and do each independently of the other.

You can route the air to the floor setting, and the compressor will not come on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

They don't need to run the heat in summer, that comes in from outside all by itself. That's why they give you Air Conditioning in the first place.

Just turn the defroster off and set the dial so air blows out on the floor. When it gets hot, change the setting.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Start the car, set the dial to FLOOR, and drive away. The car will eventually warm up, and then you can change the dial.

The FLOOR vent by itself should not invoke the AC. You get the AC because you select the DEF/FLR Blend setting, and DEF causes the AC to come on. Select FLR all by itself, and you will be comfortable enough, or select OFF.

Why don't you set the Fan Speed to a low setting, or off, until the heat comes up? If Denver is as dry as you say, then your car isn't gonna fog up on the inside before the heat comes up enough to over power the AC.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Wouldn't it be less hassle to just remove the AC clutch relay for the season?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

'Cause it comes up gradually and I can get SOME heat soon, as long as the AC isnt on! :)

Not even an issue. Like I said, I've always run the heat on the windshield and my feet anyway, because I dont want it in my face.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

No, because every once in awhile we can actually use it, like when we get sleet at about 40 degrees and it's soaking wet out and the windshield gets cold and starts fogging, but we want heat too. It rarely happens, but when it does in the '93, I can just turn the compressor on. What a cool idea, and optional switch! Hear that Toyoda san?

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Okay, now you have a car that wants you to just run the heat on your feet for the first few minutes of your daily driving bliss. The windshield setting is what has your knickers in a bunch here.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yeah but with this '02, when I switch vents around, then I gotta mess with trying to keep the recirc closed, all over again. Sometimes it will close and sometimes it gets stopped from closing, which makes me more bonkers.

I want a '93.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

You don't get out much, do you.

People ARE too stupid to flush. That's a known fact.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty