Desperately Seeking Japan

Hi, just wondering what Toyota models that are sold in the USA are still made in Japan? Perhaps the RAV4?

Also is it absolutely NOT possible now to buy a Corolla in the U.S. that was made in Japan? Are Fremont, California and Ontario the only places one can get a Corolla from now?

I'm fine with buying a Corolla assembled in Fremont or Ontario, but I had such a positive experience with my '95 Tercel "J-Vinny" car, that I would prefer, if possible, to have the Corolla made in Tokyo.

I'm not being anti-American when I say that. We, after all make the best rockets in the world and best CPUs, among many other things. What company makes a better computer brain than Intel and AMD? But when it comes to cars, I'm hooked on Japan. The most reliable and high-quality car plants are Japanese, according to J.D. Power and Associates.

So is it possible to get a Corolla, RAV4, Tacoma, or possibly even a Sienna that was still made in Japan?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Built_Well

"2003 IQS Assembly Plant Awards"

For the second consecutive year, Toyota's Tahara, Japan, car plant receives the Platinum award for worldwide plant quality with a score of 63 PP100. Toyota sweeps the plant awards in the Asia Pacific region, with the Motomachi, Japan, assembly plant receiving the Silver plant award and the Tsutsumi, Japan, assembly plant receiving the Bronze. The General Motors Oshawa #1 plant in Ontario, Canada, and its new Lansing Grand River, Mich., plant receive the Gold and Silver North/South American plant awards, respectively, while Ford Motor Company's Atlanta plant receives the Bronze. In Europe, BMW's Munich, Germany, assembly plant receives the Gold award, DaimlerChrysler's Bremen, Germany, Mercedes-Benz plant receives the Silver, and Ford Motor Company's Torslanda, Sweden, Volvo plant receives the Bronze.

The 2003 Initial Quality Study is based on responses from more than 52,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2003 model-year cars and trucks who were surveyed after 90 days of ownership. This industry benchmark study

for new-vehicle initial quality is now in its 17th year."

Reply to
Built_Well

my Intels and AMDs have all been made in Malaysia or Costa Rica or Taiwan

the kentucy Toyo assembly plant recieved a J.D, Powers award for quality excelence

do not know, but i doubt toyota is going to let there image tarnish by allowing sub-standard low quality assembly in any of the other countries they are building in

so the cars should be the smae quality as japan unless some japanese air makes a difference

Reply to
Rob B

Build quality is a function of management, it should not make any difference where a particular manufacture builds its vehicles

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Good Luck. I want Jap Toys, too, but the list is shrinking.

I think the upcoming Yaris (the Echo/Tercel replacement) will be Japanese, but may be Canadian. The RAV 4 is Japanese, the Highlander is, and the Celica is...if you get one FAST.

you CAN find a Camry with a J-VIN, but here's the deal: 75% of the parts are US! The engines and trannies anre Jap, and final assy is at the Supra plants, but the car is mostly US. No one has been able to explain this. My guess is that they assemble the bodies here and ship them to Japan for final assy. Maybe so Toyota can maintain it's Japanese MFG status???

Prius is Japanese.

I've seen ONE Japanese made Corolla in 2 years.

Oh, yeah, the Land Crusher is Japanese.

All the rest are US/CAN.

The Mazda 3 is Japan made! And a lot more fun than current Toyota models, too.

Oh, BTW, if you're interested: ALL Scions (and, for that matter, Lexus) are Japanese...

I think I see a tC in my future...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Toyota's web site has info on their North American plants. Vehicles not listed as being produced at those plants are imported from Japan.

Toyota does not have any vehicle assembly plants in Tokyo.

Right now, Toyotas sold in the U.S. that are exclusively imported from Japan: Yaris (coming soon); Rav4; Land Cruiser; all Scions; all Lexus except ES.

Reply to
Ray O

The Mazda3 is a sweet-looking car, especially the hatchback model. But Edmunds only lists Mazda 3's with manual trannys. It looks like the Mazda 3 doesn't comes in automatic, hard as it is to believe. I think Ford now runs Mazda along with Volvo and Jaguar.

Reassuring tid-bit from JD Power's 2003 IQS:

[2003 QUOTES] "Toyota Corollas built in both Japan and North America are almost identical in initial quality. There was insufficient sample to provide the same analysis for the Camry."

".... only the Honda Accord and Civic and Toyota Camry and Corolla are produced in both North American and Japanese plants. Honda Accords built in Japan have a nearly 25 PP100 advantage over those built in North American plants, while Civics built in North America have a nearly 15 PP100 advantage over their Japanese-built counterparts." [ ]

Well, I guess I'll purchase the NUMMI Corolla then, and save $3,500 over the Japanese-made RAV4, since it appears the quality between Japan and NUMMI Corollas is identical--at least considering the 90-day IQS.

Does anyone have any long-term VDS information regarding the NUMMI and Japan Corollas? Unlike the IQS, the VDS (Vehicle Dependability Survey/Study) looks at data over 3 or more years, if I recall correctly.

Thanks a zillion.

Reply to
Built_Well

Hmm, Honda must be having trouble unloading the '05 Honda Elements?? My local dealer still has 3 from the '05 model year along with another 3 for 2006 on the lot.

The Edmunds price for the '05 Element is $17,400, much less than the $19k or so for the Toyota RAV4. Plus it looks like the Manufacturer will give the dealer $500 in marketing cash-to-dealer funds. Does this mean I could expect to subtract that 500 from the

17,400 "True Market Value" and only pay 16,900 to the dealer for an Element?

Currently, I've negotiated a final price of $16,100 with my local Toyota dealer for an automatic '06 Corolla LE with VV-audio, cruise, and all-weather(I decided to forget about the "CE"). But would consider a Honda Element if it only cost $800 more.

Reply to
Built_Well

They have an Auto with a manyy-like shifter.

Reply to
Hachiroku

maybe for less ...

apparently there is a Factory-to-Dealer incentive for moving those 2005 Elements depending on model EX/LX etc.

I just went through this buying crap with '06 Toyota Highlander so this is fresh , i used Edmunds among others and found Edmunds TMV (what others pay) to be about $800-1100 higher than what i was able to negotiate

I recommend following links to adjust/compare your pricing figures

**> Cars Direct go through to quote page and then subtract about 5-10% from cars direct price for a good ball park figure (if the adjusted price is lower than your current negotiated price otherwise it is of no use)

**> Edmunds *Invoice* Price seems to be a good target as well and perhaps a little lower.

**> CarBuyersSecret.com is pretty good source as well it was usefull for calculating a good FAIR offer for toyota but you need to supply all the incentive, rebates, holdback, how much profit you want for dealership and such figures to get an accurate calculation ( i calculated with a 5% profit margin for dealer and after all negotiating i came out about 300 below that so more like a 4% profit for dealer, dealer probably made more than that but i was happy with price)

HTH robb

Reply to
Rob B

Humanitables!