Detroit auto makers try some new tricks

"U.S. auto makers are building higher-quality cars, but they can't get buyers to get over the fact that they're American cars...."

Wall Street Journal article:

Ed

Because US auto makers waited too long to stop making cars that looked like furniture or copies of German or Japanese cars.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

"larry moe 'n curly" ...

I think it's cool. I'd love to drive an American car again, without having to run it back and forth to the shop. Seriously, I'm willing to give them another chance.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I had two 05 Hondas: A civic hybrid and an Element. While both were decent cars, their mileage left a lot to be desired; nowhere near what was advertised. Because of that, I traded them both in a bought two new Chevy Malibu SS's , a Maxx and the sedan. As far as I'm concerned, at least to this point, they are the best running, most comfortable cars I've ever owned...no more Japanese cars here.

Reply to
Ted

I don't have the resources to take that gamble and maybe lose. Many times burned I just cannot take the risk even though the potential of the Chevy Volt did tempt me.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

I did that in 1992 and won't do it again. My car wasn't that bad, but Ford's attitude toward defects was very different from Toyota's or Nissan's, and they actually told me that lumpy body filler above the front doors wasn't really a defect because every car of that model was like that.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

lol .. maybe they should replace the suv commercials with new commercials about how they are making their products better and stronger... that would be a start...

Reply to
GoMavs

Enjoy that Malibu when its in the shop. I hate the feel of shop chairs. Hard plastic and that little 12 inch TV in the waiting room.

BTW, you were concerned about fuel, so you went and bought a car that gets

18 mpg in the city?
Reply to
GoMavs

I had two 05 Hondas: A civic hybrid and an Element. While both were decent cars, their mileage left a lot to be desired; nowhere near what was advertised. Because of that, I traded them both in a bought two new Chevy Malibu SS's , a Maxx and the sedan. As far as I'm concerned, at least to this point, they are the best running, most comfortable cars I've ever owned...no more Japanese cars here.

What mpgs do the Malibus get?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Cathy F." ...

"Wickeddoll®"

Yeah, that doesn't sound very economical. But maybe he's talking about the way the car feels/drives.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I'm watching the Ford Fusion. I think it has potential.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I did that in 1992 and won't do it again. My car wasn't that bad, but Ford's attitude toward defects was very different from Toyota's or Nissan's, and they actually told me that lumpy body filler above the front doors wasn't really a defect because every car of that model was like that.

LMC

So you think they're irredeemable? I don't. I think they may have learned to put the customer's needs first. At least I hope they do. Why would they try the same shit that ruined them? That doesn't even make good business sense.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

That occurred to me, too. But, if he traded in the Element & Civic hybrid because they didn't get the advertised mpg, then... ??? - the logic gets lost, considering they must get better mileage than the Malibus. Plus, I'm guessing the Maxx costs more than either of the Hondas. In which case a part of the picture - which may've been a revised one - wasn't expressly stated in the post.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I'm on the fence. They *must've* seen which way the wind was blowing in the early-mid-70's, yet completely ignored it. I jumped ship, along with lots of others.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

You've answered your own question. They got to the place they are now by pulling the same shit. They are being ruined by it. If they weren't pulling the same shit all along they would not be in dire straights now. Good business sense? It would be great if they had any at all.

They will not change until they are out of business. Buy that Fusion. Trust me, its just another iteration of the SOS.

Reply to
Bob H

Why is it that every defect that ever occurs in an American car is remembered forever no matter how minor. But Toyota sells entire lines of cars with engines that sludge up and burn up and no one gives a rats ass.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That may be because when the American car companies have a problem they do nothing about it, such as the leaking GM intake gaskets. When Toyota has a problem they take care of it by extending the warranty or issuing a recall.

Reply to
Mike

I own an american car. a '99 Grand Marquis LS.

Bought it used last year (82 thousand KM on it)

Now at 102 thousand KM, cost me a Coil On Plug and the corresponding sparkplug. I also had to have 2 bolts replaced on the passenger side flange (cat to y-pipe)

Now, I'll have to do the same to the driver's side (another 30$)

Prestone needs to be flushed, I'll be putting a bigger battery (has a

850AMP, I'll put in a bigger one and a beefier alternator for the sound system), and some winter tires, (didn't like my all-wheater Bridgestone's behavior last winter :)

that's about it...

2 Honda Civics destroyed themselves rear-ending me, I'll need to replace the rear plastic bumper cover (badly scratched and broke where it screws on the frame)

So much for Styrofoam Japanese bumpers :)

Oh, and I'll have to replace the car's lighter socket, it short-circuited hitself to death last year...

Reply to
El Bandito

Are you kidding? When they had the door locks that shorted and locked you in the car and then caught fire they denied the problem existed till they lost in court. They routinely denied the sludge problem claiming the owners weren't changing the oil even when the owners had receipts for the work. Just another example of how people just look at Toyotas with their rose colored glasses on and at American cars with a kaleidoscope from hell.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Sure, sure... Except I know 8 people with '99-'01 "Sludgemaster" Toyota Siennas. Not one has had a problem, of any kind, with their Sienna. How come I don't know ONE person who's had a problem with the "Sludgemaster?" Oh, yeah, I have one, too. No problems. None.

I'll buy an American car when I think it will save me money over a Toyota. That means years of reports from my neighbors that buy Detroiters that their cars run reliably. Years. Detroit spent 30 years pissing away their commanding market share. Did they think they could get it back in a weekend? If so, they were wrong.

Reply to
dh