diagnose wheel bearing

1993 Corolla LE 7A-FE about 300,000 km (186,300 mi)

Front wheel bearing

It sounds like I may have a front wheel bearing worn out. Is there any definitive diagnosis?

I can't hear anything grinding when I jack up the car and spin the wheel. These bearings are friction-fit and I would like to avoid letting it go too long and damaging the hub. The left bearing has already been replaced.

A passenger reports feeling vibration from the right front wheel. One day I heard an intermittent milling sound which was interrupted by curving. I don't hear this most days.

Your expert opinion is invited.

- Jack

Reply to
Ralph

It is difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose a sound without actually hearing the sound. If the noise changes with road speed and increases in frequency or amplitude when making a left turn, the right wheel bearing should be checked. Unfortunately, you have to remove the bearing and look at its condition to determine whether it is bad or not.

Other possible sources of rotational noises are brakes, CV joints, and differential bearings.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks again Ray O!

- Jack

Reply to
Ralph

========= The Factory Service Manual has a specification to check wheel bearing end play. It is in the section on brakes, near the part about using a dial indicator to check disk rotor runout. See:

Reply to
nospampls2002

========= The Factory Service Manual has a specification to check wheel bearing end play. It is in the section on brakes, near the part about using a dial indicator to check disk rotor runout.

Reply to
nospampls2002

I just had my front bearings done. It sounded like a growling or rumbling noise at 40/50+ mph, so I'm not certain you'd hear anything from spinning the wheel by hand.

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

you might jack it up and try to wiggle the wheel, top to bottom. if there's any difference from the other side (which shouldn't have ANYplay), then you need a wheel bearing. good luck, sammm

Reply to
SAMMM