Dilemma mement !

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry 4X LE that has been under regular maintenance for the past 10 years and I just bought 4 new Michelin Tires for that car last month. The mileage on that car is 130K.

Last week, someone hit my car in the parking lot and left. And when I checked the Body Shop, I was told the total cost to have it fixed is going to be $27K

What should I do with that car, to have it fixed? Or to have it junked?

John.

Reply to
John

27K???

Do you mean $27 thousand, or do you mean $27 hundred?

$27,000.00 or $2,700.00 ???

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Check with your insurance company for uninsured motorists coverage.

Reply to
badgolferman

Sorry, it was $2700. And I have to pay that full amount if I was going to have it fixed.

John.

Reply to
John

What kind of damage? Just body panels, or is there suspension damage too? Front or back?

And, why isn't your insurance covering this?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Dont you have insurance. What kind of lot, Cameras are in more places than you think. Private building lot, the color of the car that hit you is on your car and paints can be matched to a model.

Reply to
ransley

What about your insurance company? What about your state's/province's fund for unknown/uninsured motorists?

Reply to
Sharx35

Don' you have collision insurance? I have a 99 Camry and my Camry still merits collision insurance, albeit with a $1,000 deductible.

Reply to
Sharx35

  1. The damage was of front bumper, hood area .
  2. I have chekced with my insurance company. Since I do not have full coverage insurance on this car, I have to pay the cost myself.

So the question for me is would I pay $2700 to have the car fixed, OR I may have it sold (Junked?) , and buy a better one with the same amount of money.

thanks,

John. ( btw, I am living in bay area, california. )

Reply to
John

My 1997 Camry only had liability but Virginia law required uninsured motorists. When informed of that fact my insurance company paid to have my car fixed.

Reply to
badgolferman

I would A) check its current value for trade-in/owner sale (if in good shape) & pit that against the cost of repairing it, combined with B) how much you like the car & want to keep it.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

It seems to me that California requires you to have uninsured motorist coverage but I may be wrong. The question, if not, is can you shop around for a better price? Does all the work have to be done to make it "legal" to drive? What could you get for 2700 that is good as the car you know the condition of?

My suggestion, if you can't get other driver or insurance, to pay is to do enough repairs to make it functional and drive it til it dies.

I'd bet you'd pay 6000 or so for a decent one down there and with damageyou'd get nothing for tradin.

Ron in Idaho

(when I left California, there was about 40% of the drivers without insurance)

Reply to
ron

I the car sustained damage that require welding or replacement of structural components like the inner fenders or suspension components, look for another car. If the damage can be repaired by bolting on parts like the bumper, outer fenders, hood, etc., then the car may be worth repairing. Check out the value of your car as Hachiroku suggested, and check out the cost of a replacement car.

Reply to
Ray O

And since it's tax time, if you do total it and buy another one you can get some deductions for the "sudden" loss.

'm sure Geithner wouldn't miss this one.

Reply to
Fat Moe

For 27000 0r 2700 or 270 Id be looking for security video.

Reply to
ransley