directional signal bulb burns out often

Help I need some thoughts.

The front right directional signal bulb has burned out twice in 3 weeks. This 2 filament bulb loses one filament and then triggers a rapid blinking directional signal only when the headlights or parking lights are on. This follows the manual which says rapid blinking is an indicator of a burned out bulb.

The question is what would cause repeated burnouts. I am going to use another brand of bulb - my replacements were both from same package which was a few years old but I sort of doubt that age has anything to do with it.

Is there a "flasher' that needs replacement? Or moisture issue?

Please advise

Reply to
Alan

Try a different brand bulb. The package may have been dropped, shortening the filament's life span. Vibration can also shorten the bulb's life so make sure the fixture isn't loose.

Any moisture in the light fixture will be evident because you can see condensation on the inside of the lens or corrosion in the bulb socket.

The flasher is probably OK - it doesn't have any bearing on bulb life.

Reply to
Ray O

If you have a Camry, you may have a loose fitting contact in the socket. To fix it you will need to bend the spring contact so that it will put more tension against the bulb. You can search Google Groups for past comments on this subject.

Reply to
Mark A

thanks - some thoughts

alan