Disable annoying seat belt buzzer

I have a new 2006 Rav4. I normally wear my seat belt 98% of the time but there are instances where I may need to unhook it say while I am in a drive through and need to grab my wallet. Anyways, this thing has a super annoying beeping noise that goes off when the seat belt is unhooked. Does anyone know how to disable this? I tried unplugging the wires under the seat and that did disable it but then when you do have the seat belt hooked the light on the dash flashes and thinks it is unhooked. I thought about just finding the buzzer and disconnecting that but someone told me that it sits behind the speedometer and that would be a major job to get to it. Any ideas?

Reply to
cusack

Someone who has recently begun frequenting this ng complained because the warning alert for an unfastened seat belt didn't sound the entire time the seat belt was unfastened.

On our cars, we get a tone when the seat belt is unfastened for a few seconds, then it is silent.

Reply to
Ray O

There is a somewhat complicated process to deal with this problem set out in the Avalon manual for that vehicle

Reply to
gwsneo

This is what did it for my '05 Camry:

1.) Power on ignition 2.) Set trip/ODO to ODO (if its already on ODO you will have to cycle through) 3.) Power off 4.) Power on with brake pedal pressed 5.) Within 6 seconds, press and hold the ODO for 10 seconds or more 6.) While STILL holding the ODO *after 10 seconds*, buckle BOTH seatbelts. Now release the ODO 7.) You will see in the trip display either a "b on" or "b off" 8.) Press the ODO to toggle between "b on" or b off" YOU WANT "b off" 9.) Now power off.

If battery is disconnected, you may lose your setting. Default is always "b on"

Use only at your own risk; if you crash and die a horrible death after doing this, it's not MY fault!

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

Reply to
cusack

Reply to
cusack

I coulda sworn "cusack" typ'd:

Bummer, man. Those were the right instructions for both my '05 Camry and my '05 xB, so I thought they might be Toyota generic. I guess that's what happens when I assUme . . . .

How about a Google search on "rav4 chat" or something like that? I found the instructions I posted on an xB chat site.

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn