disappearing antifreeze

something.

:)

I am too.

Reply to
Fred the Plumber

My bad, I think I inserted my sig twice.

Reply to
Ray O

I was wrong before. I found a big crack in the upper half of the overflow tank. This is where the fluid is coming out, it just looked like it was coming from the hose. So I will fix that first of all, and then take a look at the radiator cap.

Reply to
Joe

Since you haven't been overheating, this makes the most sense.

Remember, you can't tell if the cap is bad by looking at it. Unless you've just recently purchased it, replace it. Period. Especially if you've been taking it off a lot to look at the fluid level.

It's got a metal spring, after all. It WILL lose its tension and you can't see it with your eyes.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Congratulations on solving the mystery. There's still one more thing I'd like to know, though: How do YOU (and I specifically mean YOU) normally check the antifreeze? You open the hood and then you..... {finish the story}

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

He's already said he removes the cap and looks in. :(

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

He's probably gone anyway. I suspect (as you did) that he doesn't have a clue about checking the tank.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I "normally" check the antifreeze by looking at the overflow tank like everyone else. When it is abnormally blowing out a couple quarts every time I run it, I go straight to the radiator.

Reply to
Joe

Check the tank HOW? What do you look for?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've had luck using RTV silicones (gray color) to patch up leaks in the radiator. You may find it handy when repairing your overflow tank. I used it on the ceramic looking surface on the radiator of my old honda civic. I bet it will work well on plastic too.

Reply to
EdV

I'm asking the questions here. If you have a point, just make it or go back to bed.

Reply to
Joe

The point is that at various points in the discussion, you never said anything which indicated that you were aware of the HOT and COLD lines on the overflow tank, and what those lines meant. It would be entirely possible to misread the levels enough to think you were losing large amounts of antifreeze. This is why I asked a completely open-ended question, to avoid providing clues. I wanted to hear it from you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

When I open the radiator after driving there is no antifreeze. None. I'm aware of the fill lines on the overflow tank, but they dont concern me much when the radiator has no visible antifreeze. Practically speaking, minor deviations from the low and high marks dont make much difference, the tank is so small. Esp when quarts are being lost.

Anyway, I unsuccessfully patched the tank and then I replaced the radiator cap. I still lost some anitfreeze but not as much. I'm ordering a new tank tomorrow. I'm also getting a new car. :) When I get that, this goes back to being a firewood truck that I dont need to drive more than 5-10 miles at a time.

Reply to
Joe

You shouldn't open the radiator. It's a ____ CLOSED ____ system. If you open it after driving, I assume you're releasing the pressure. When you do, you're letting antifreeze leave. Also, you can't SEE all the liquid in the radiator.

They should concern you. That's part of the point.

You're misenterpreting what that means.

What you're losing is likely because you're removing the cap. Closed systems aren't like cars of the old days. That you're continuing to miss this point should be a concern to you.

Good. But don't remove the cap to check the antifreeze level.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore