Distributor cap O-ring

My 1987 Supra n/a ignition distributor has/had a O-ring for the cap. It seems to be one of those items I just can not get OEM. Who knows why, probabley 1/2 me idk.

How can I find out the correct size of that O-ring so I can just go buy one someplace?

I don't want to try guessing because last time I cracked the cap and it was like $40 /no O-ring!

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Why not take the cap to the hardware store and search the bins for an o-ring that fits? I would visit the small stores that can provide personal service, and avoid the big box joints. My experience in these matters is that the small store can order precisely the o-ring you need. They can help you measure the cap and find just the right size.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The O-ring used to be available through Toyota dealers as an OEM part. Perhaps the age of the vehicle is what is making it hard to find.

To get the correct size, use a vernier caliper to measure the outside diameter of the groove in the distributor shaft. This corresponds to the inside diameter of the O-ring, then measure the inside diameter of the distributor shaft opening the get the outside diameter of the O-ring.

Reply to
Ray O

Oops! Correction: I was referring to the distributor shaft O-ring and not the distributor cap O-ring. use the same procedure to get the inside and outside diameters for the O-ring for the cap.

Reply to
Ray O

seems to be one of those items I just can not get OEM.

like $40 /no O-ring!

Perhaps the age of the vehicle is what is making it hard

diameter of the groove in the distributor shaft. This

diameter of the distributor shaft opening the get the

the distributor cap O-ring. use the same procedure to

Last time I still had the original O-ring and found a perfect match. or so I thought. crack. Darn things only about a toothpick size O-ring 4 1/4" diameter or so. The real kicker is that I bought the car new and have no valid reason for ever removing the cap (less plug wires) because it appears to be a lifetime part. A aftermarket cap was history in 10,000 miles.

Oh well :/

Reply to
Danny G.